UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2013, 8:59 pm   #1
Neil Purling
Nonode

Default The most suitable valve for an anode-bend detector

I am just wondering if there is any characteristic that is particularly desirable.
I have got a number of EF91 & I need some use for them!
I have got coils & I have previously used Octal EF39 & 6K7 as RF amplifier & detector I was thinking of re-visiting this type of TRF that is the type used in the legion of kit radios, but updated slightly
Old 19th Dec 2013, 9:16 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: The most suitable valve for an anode-bend detector

Is it a regenerative detector? I've generally found that non-variable-mu pentodes are best in such duty, though low-slope variable-mu pentodes [such as the 1T4/1S5 battery valves] are OK in such applications.

An EF50 works well as an "infinite impedance" detector.
Old 19th Dec 2013, 10:17 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: The most suitable valve for an anode-bend detector

In my simple superhet project I chose a high slope pentode for the anode bend detector. At present I'm using a Mazda 10F1 because an UF80 was not to hand. Other valves such as the EF50, EF80, EF91 and 6F1 work equally well. Octal fans could consider the 6AC7/1852.
The circuit of my superhet is here: http://vintage-radio.net/forum/showt...=101388&page=3
Post No. 48.

DFWB.
Closed Thread