UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2015, 8:55 pm   #1
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Free to attend History of Technology conference

Mods please move if this is in the wrong place.

Gents, on Sat 6 June there will be a free to attend conference at the Discovery museum in Newcastle on the history of Power generation, transmission and utilisation. This is organised by the IET.
The following day there will be an informal trip to Cragside in Northumberland, the first private house in the world to be lit electrically; again free if you are a national Trust member and the home of Lord Armstrong, a northern engineering pioneer.

The advertising poster for this event is attached for your information, please PM me if you need additional information
Note that registration is required by May 9th (links are in the attached poster)

Hope to see you there, Ed
Attached Files
File Type: docx Conference on the history of power generation.docx (37.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 1st May 2015, 2:48 am   #2
Synchrodyne
Nonode

Default Re: Free to attend History of Technology conference

Thanks. That looks to be really good conference on a very interesting topic. I can visualize meaty presentations and discussions about AC vs DC, three-phase vs two-phase, AC frequency (whose choice effectively locked-in TV development), differing industrial, domestic and traction requirements and so on. Unfortunately 55 degrees north is just a bit beyond easy driving distance from here, so reluctantly I’ll need to pass.

Cheers,
Old 2nd May 2015, 5:00 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I'm definitely interested, so please book me a place for Saturday, and the drive from W. Cumbria to Newcastle for 9:30am is just about manageable. As much as I'd like to stay for the visit to Cragside, making an overnight stay would complicate matters.
Old 2nd May 2015, 8:35 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Dave, if you either look on the IET website www.iet.org or contact anee locker direct you can make your booking.

I'll see you there.

Ed
Old 18th May 2015, 7:57 pm   #5
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Hi Ed
Just got round to reading this. Power generation used to be pretty important where I was working at one time, so I still have an interest in it. I have just finished registering for it, so there looks to be still places available.
See you there.
Jrff
Old 18th May 2015, 9:44 pm   #6
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Jeff, details will be going out in about a weeks time. Will you be going on the Cragside visit as well? There is a Joseph Swan light bulb exhibition on there at present.

I'll be doing the ARCs & Sparks tour with another retired MIET

See you on the sat morning

Ed
Old 18th May 2015, 10:37 pm   #7
Jeffreyabb
Pentode

Hi Ed
Sadly I'll be otherwise occupied on the Sunday, so I can't get to the Cragside visit. Looking forward to the 'Arcs & Sparks' tour.
Jeff
Closed Thread