UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2013, 3:55 pm   #1
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default Thermal Resistors

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me please, how do you know when a thermal resistor has reached the end of it's life?.

Thanks, paul.
Old 13th Dec 2013, 4:20 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Thermal Resistors

What exactly are you meaning by "thermal resistor"?

I guess it could be a Thermistor, or possibly one of the thermal-overload power-resistors used in TV sets which have a spring-loaded contact usually held closed using low-melting-point solder.
Old 13th Dec 2013, 8:02 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

High power ones usually fall to pieces.
Old 13th Dec 2013, 8:48 pm   #4
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi,

I mean the ones that just look like a piece of carbon rod, with a metal cap at each end with the wire protruding from the end of the connecting caps.

Paul.
Old 13th Dec 2013, 10:45 pm   #5
matthewhouse
Octode

Thermistor? If so they often physically break, I've not seen a faulty one in one piece.
Old 14th Dec 2013, 1:11 am   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Normally they go on working until they literally fall apart. The early ones didn't have metal caps they had wire wound around the ends and soldered, I have seen them still working quite happily where the solder had all but disappeared and the rod was just sitting there, any movement and they could disintegrate. They were used in most TVs in the '50's and '60s and probably more were in a state of decay than in good condition.

Peter
Old 14th Dec 2013, 9:01 pm   #7
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

Thermisters (NTC and PTC), VDRs and varisters all have temperature dependant properties. Some appear to age, some may not.
I remember the VDR rods used in the focus circuits of some CTVs could age. (Some probably got damp, and "shaled off", but others looked physically unchanged. The ones Grundig used on some earlier sets seemed to go low resistance, and then heat up like furnace rods, before melting their top solder and plastic housing. Replacement only option. They all looked the same, but their were various part numbers with description such as "with two black dots" to distinguish them in the workshop.
I supplied a PTC to somebody recently and I think his measured resistance values were quite different to the spec sheet.
Les.
Closed Thread