UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2018, 4:46 pm   #1
Radio Wrangler

Default Beware Halfords masking tape

I bought some masking tape at Halfords last year.

Beware that it has a warning to remove it before 24 hours. You might not notice it, or might not believe it.

I left it on for 3 days and found it almost impossible to remove. Glue residue had gone hard and had to be scraped off with a knife and then the surface finish re-polished.

It's not like the good old 3M stuff.

David
Old 30th Apr 2018, 4:50 pm   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Beware Halfords masking tape

Ah it's rubbish that stuff.

I highly recommend Tamiya masking tape. You can get it from Hobbycraft. https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/tamiya-...mm/580565-1000

Nice clean edges, doesn't mark and actually comes off. I did some quite elaborate masking with that on polycarbonate shells for radio control cars.
Old 30th Apr 2018, 10:44 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

Default Re: Beware Halfords masking tape

So that is where the bailiffs get their tape from.
It is a ****** to get the marks off the front room window when you buy a repossessed house.
Closed Thread