UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2017, 3:16 pm   #1
Mikey405
Octode

Default Pye Hybrid CTV faults and a trimming tool question.

Hi all.

I hope everyone is having a nice Christmas.

I'm currently sat on the floor behind my trusty Dynatron CTV5 (Pye 691 chassis) sorting out a few jobs that I keep putting off. Poor saturation was first on the list and this was traced to R35, an 82K resistor on the I.F. panel that had doubled in value - This resistor normally causes poor sync but it appears that it hadn't gone high enough value for that to happen and the sync seemed fine both before and after I replaced it.

The second fault was barely adequate width, with the usual Pye hybrid complaint of the core of the width coil sticking right out of its hole. This, of course, turned out to be the normal 10M resistor R223 on the line panel going high in value. The replacement was a special Vishay high voltage type.

The last problem was slightly more "undefined" if I can put it like that. The sound isn't exactly "quiet" as such, it's just quieter than I'd have perhaps expected. The Mullard LP1162 module was overhauled a few months back and produces a lovely sound but the volume on the Dynatron itself is just a little bit "lacklustre".

On examining the IF panel it looks as though somebody else has had perhaps a similar problem because one of the tuning coils (L19) in the intercarrier circuit has been got-at and the core broken. I've removed a spare coil from a scrap board but the core (and whole assembly) is very delicate and I don't know where to get a tool to trim the core.

So, my question is: Does anyone have any idea where I may be able to obtain a trimming-tool for this tiny core. It really needs to go the full length of the core as it's reasonably stiff (the little plastic Farnell trimmers are way too frail and snap off easily).

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20171216_13_40_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	154078   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20171216_13_40_04_Pro.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	154079   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20171216_13_39_41_Pro.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	154080  

Last edited by Mikey405; 16th Dec 2017 at 3:25 pm.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 3:31 pm   #2
1100 man
Octode

Default Re: Pye Hybrid CTV faults and a trimming tool question.

Hi Mike,
I am just trying to find an answer to that very question! I was hoping RS (no min order charge & free p&p) would have something suitable as I'm just about to place an order.
The best they do is a cheap CK 10 piece set, most of which won't be of much use. I only really need hex ones myself. They also do the blue plastic things which are a bit flimsy. Having said that, if the core was too stiff to use a plastic tool, I would try and free it off a bit!
I imagine few people need to adjust cores these days
All the best
Nick

Ah, I've just looked at your pictures and seen you need a flat one. I've got a long, flat, copper one with a plastic handle which goes the full length of the core so is ideal. I've had it for years so no idea if they are still available.

Last edited by 1100 man; 16th Dec 2017 at 3:35 pm. Reason: extra information added
Old 16th Dec 2017, 4:59 pm   #3
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Hi Mike

I have a trimming tool that I think fits the bill (or core )

PM me your postal address and I'll send it to you. I have another one so I won't miss it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PICT2741.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	154089  
Old 16th Dec 2017, 5:06 pm   #4
Freya
Octode

I have this your welcome to borrow until you find something, its copper alloy 2.5mm and 1.5mm ends 0.75mm thick

edit:, took too long with picture and Colin beat me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171216_160411.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	154090  
Old 16th Dec 2017, 5:38 pm   #5
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Nick, Colin and Stephen.

Thank you for your replies, suggestions and kind offers.

Colin - Your kind offer is much appreciated but I think that trimmer is a little bit too big. The small end of Stephen's trimmer looks like just the ticket though. And seeing that picture reminds me that I'm sure I have one of those exact tools back in Solihull somewhere. As soon as I return home after Christmas I will endeavour to find it. I don't suppose anyone knows who makes that tool so that I could get one for down here permanently? (Your kind offer of the loan is much appreciated though Stephen).

Thanks everyone.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 9:02 pm   #6
Goldieoldie
Octode

Hi
If the core is a bit stiff a drop of IPA can help to lubricate
It then of course evaporates
Cheers Pete
Old 16th Dec 2017, 9:17 pm   #7
Andrew2
Nonode

As Goldieoldie says, that core needs freeing-up before any attempt is made to adjust it or you'll end up with another cracked/jammed core.
Gentle heat from a heat gun or hair drier should do the trick.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 9:17 pm   #8
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey405 View Post
Colin - Your kind offer is much appreciated but I think that trimmer is a little bit too big.
I could always sell you a file.
Old 18th Dec 2017, 10:08 am   #9
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I have the same trimmer tool as Stephen. The small end does most coils, IF, Line Oscillator etc and fits the bill for most things. Have only got one but if you need to borrow it please let me know.
Old 19th Dec 2017, 7:48 am   #10
thermionic
Heptode

Not sure who made them, Mikey, but I remember buying one from Willow Vale in the mid eighties. I haven’t seen mine for years though I’m afraid 😟

SimonT.