UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Sep 2012, 9:50 am   #1
jim221
Pentode

Default ASC AS5004 and AS6002 tape recorders.

Hi I recently purchased a couple of these German made tape recorders. I was wondering why these don't seem to have taken off in this country as the Revox has. The AS6000 has been tested alongside the Revox and if I am reading the blurb correctly seems to be on a par at least if not better. It is written in German but if you translate using Bing you can understand most of it. I don't know if it was a matter of cost as they seemed to be quite expensive. The ones I purchased both have faults on so I may be asking for help in the near future.

The man who has given me a lot of help so far is a chap called Michael Herberts who runs a website dedicated to the ASC tape recorders which can be found at

www.asc6000.de/links.

He has a large sock of spares but they are expensive. Why do you think they didn't take off as they seem to be a very well built machine.

Your thoughts?

Jim
Old 4th Sep 2012, 10:23 am   #2
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Re: ASC AS5004 and AS6002 tape recorders.

Thanks for the link, the ASC recorders where Braun, Google the Braun TG1000 and the ASC 5000 and you will see what I mean. I too own a Braun TG1000 and 1 ASC S6004, they are good machines, very unusual that the power button does not actually turn the recorder off, if you spin the counter roller ( which counts in meters), you will notice the reel motors spin, plus it carry's on counting when switched off. ASC had ties with Revox, they bade the PR99 ASC addition which was a basic machine with no adjustable controls.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 9:39 am   #3
jim221
Pentode

I did notice the very similar designs of the as5000/6000 series and the braun tg1000 and wondered what the connection of the two companies was. I had read michaels rant on his website and he did mention a connection between asc and revox. I found his service tips invaluable but at the moment I am saving up for a new vu meter for my as 6000. Michael quoted me 60 euros for one but did say to look for a defective machine as being the cheapest option but then the price of a defective machine can be in the 100 - 150 euro's. I think I will be buying one from Michael.
Old 5th Sep 2012, 10:29 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

I've only had experience of their cassette based language lab kit, and that was extremely well built and spec'd. I suggest you look on German ebay, plenty of ASC reel decks and parts crop up there, for obvious reasons. Outside Germany is a different matter though... Might even work out cheaper going to Berlin on ryanair or easyjet ona cheapie, armed with a good carry on bag and a sturdy suitcase, and making a weekend of it!!

Seriously though, with a bit of patience, you're bound to come across the stuff you need without paying through the nose.
Old 12th Sep 2012, 1:54 pm   #5
jim221
Pentode

Thank you for your replies.
Closed Thread