UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2006, 4:55 pm   #21
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: British Wireless Set Database

Bandwidth is not currently an issue with my server. In total all the sites are using less than a third of the server's bandwidth allocation.

That database site used JavaScript and had to download the whole database to the user's browser, which is certainly not an efficient use of bandwidth. My site (regardless of whether it's the current software or Durpal) will use PHP and mySQL with the database on the server. So the only bandwidth used is serving the requested page/whatever.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 5th Jun 2006, 9:02 pm   #22
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
That database site used JavaScript and had to download the whole database to the user's browser
Might I just say, "Ewwww!" and shudder at the thought of that...?
Old 5th Jun 2006, 9:10 pm   #23
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Yes, it was that bad. Especially on dial-up!

Paul Stenning
Old 8th Jun 2006, 9:14 pm   #24
johnn
Retired Dormant Member

Clicked on Colin's Link & it works now. My Spyware Doctor can block popups needed to get the list of models to download. I think Windows can do the same.
I have contributed to it in the past....very good stuff!
Old 9th Jun 2006, 5:15 pm   #25
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnn
Clicked on Colin's Link & it works now.
You're right Johnn, perhaps it was having a rest.
Old 7th May 2007, 1:09 pm   #26
Station X

Any progress on setting up this database?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th May 2007, 1:59 pm   #27
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Well I was waiting to see if Kat could come up with something using CMS for me, but I assume she is busy with other things. I haven't done anything further yet, mainly because it really needs something better than gallery software to do it properly and I haven't had the time to research that.

If someone can help in that area I'm sure we can bring it together and get a few people organised entering the info etc. The software should use PHP (not Perl) and MySQL, and will run on a Linux server running Apache. We need to be able to have one main photo, perhaps 2 or 3 extra photos, then a method of entering make, model, date, valve lineup, wavebands, notes etc. We also need some method of searching.

I have a good selection of photos, though some will need identifying (such as BVWS auction photos where I have the photos and catalogue but haven't matched them up).

Hosting is not a problem, especially with the new server. It's just getting the structure/software sorted out to make it happen. Can anyone help with this, please?

Paul Stenning
Old 7th May 2007, 3:56 pm   #28
yestertech
Nonode

Well I'm up for entering data, photo ID's etc
Not sure if this posting is relevant to the discussion here, but as no-one responded, may I take the liberty of repeating same here ??

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...light=classaxe

Andy
Old 7th May 2007, 4:00 pm   #29
Station X

Here's a link to the Classaxe site:-

http://www.classaxe.com/wireless/data/sets/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th May 2007, 4:27 pm   #30
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Although that project seems to have been abandoned, we cannot just take everything from it and make something else from it, as it is his copyright. In particular Martin took many of the photos himself so we cannot just pinch them. Structurally it uses Javascript and downloads the whole database to the user's browser, so that is not usable anyway. The information on valve types and wavebands is generally available data so there is no problems using that.

The site I started a while ago is here http://www.vintage-radio.info/gallery/index.php. This currently uses a gallery system called Coppermine which is obviously more intended for showing photos than presenting structured data. It does have a search facility though, so may well be adequate for the purpose.

EDIT: I have just sent Martin an email asking about the status of the project and whether we can use the UK photos and data if the project is indeed dead.

Paul Stenning

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 7th May 2007 at 4:36 pm. Reason: Added a bit
Old 7th May 2007, 11:35 pm   #31
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I was in touch with Martin a few months ago, and indeed posted images on Classaxe myself. I certainly hope it isn't dead now, as I visit it frequently and have found it very easy to use.

Phil

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 29th Sep 2007, 5:01 pm   #32
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Just wondering if any further progress has been made on getting the database up and running?

Judging by the comments already received there doesn't seem to be any lack of offers of help and material to upload.

I'm sure all members would find it really useful for identification and reference if we can only get it if off of the ground as it where!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 29th Sep 2007, 6:16 pm   #33
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Currently I am trying to get another CD-ROM (or more likely a combined DVD-ROM) of service data finished. I have several folders of manufacturers data that I am going through. That's likely to be early next year.

Once that is done I want to pick up on the database site again. However if there are a few people happy to upload pictures and add in the details for them, I could probably get the site itself organised quite quickly. I just need to get the latest version of the gallery software installed (assuming we think it is adequate) and add a few users.

People who are good at recognising sets from pictures would really help as I have loads of photos of BVWS auction lots that have no identification. There is the catalogue or results from the relevant auctions which would help though.

I also have several hundred photos from Richard at Past Times Radio that do have proper identification. These are generally good clear shots too.

I sent Martin at Classaxe a couple of emails about his site and whether we could use the images from it, but got no reply.

Paul Stenning
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 12:48 pm   #34
yestertech
Nonode

Paul, As before, I am happy to assist with this and also to research/study any untitled pictures. If you need assistance scanning, I have access to fast equipment. This could be speeded up further I guess assuming you have the necessary software to separate the resulting PDF sheets, rather than having to scan each set of data into a separate file ? Andy
Old 2nd Oct 2007, 2:31 pm   #35
GMB
Dekatron

If you need any reprocessing of PDF data then I may be able to help as I write software professionally for reading and writing PDF files (amongst others).
Closed Thread