UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2005, 9:37 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default VTR103 - bargain from Harpenden

Hello again,

I had a few hours to kill today as Im waiting for another IT contract so I thought I'd have a go at one of the radios I bought at Harpenden. I chose the VTR103, the TR82C I'll tackle another time.

I bought the VTR103 on Sunday for just £15 - noone else seemed to want it as it was still there after midday. I checked it over at the meet and noticed the front and the rexine cover were excellent, just very dirty. The mountings inside were all present and correct as well. However the back was badly scratched, the chrome dial bezel and aerial were missing but no problem with those, I had spares in stock.

I gave the VTR103 the same clean as mr99p's TR82C, theyre exactly the same construction except the VTR103 has an aerial which is easy enough to remove. Internally I cleaned the wavechange switch and the volume pot and then attached a battery and amazingly this one worked perfectly from the word go - thats a first with a VTR103 for me, I even tapped all the AF117s to see if I could upset it but no, this is a good 'un

It turned out near mint this VTR103, all the lettering is in place on the push buttons, the chrome is perfect on all 4 BUSH letters, the dial is clear, the aerial has its red ball on top, the rexine is perfect, no scratches, chips or cracks on the front or the back and it sounds very good this one .... thats pretty damn good for £15 and a couple of spare parts

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	harpendenvtr103.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	1499  

Last edited by howard; 20th Sep 2005 at 9:45 pm.
Closed Thread