UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2019, 1:04 pm   #1
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Mitsubishi Z20 Upright play Hi-Fi

I had one of these in for repair so started on it today. I have a muting problem that came down to the analogue input control chip so ordered another. The thing is when I tried to find various resistors to check I had trouble finding them, that is until I realised they are built into the PCB. It's 2 layer with holes through from top to bottom and all the resistors are on there own tracks, just a black smudge between two squares. All the resistors are marked PR*** which I assume is printed resistor.

I can't recall seeing this style before, sort of early surface mount. Anyone else seen it on any other bits of kit ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6843.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	196143   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6843b.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	196144  
Old 1st Jan 2020, 5:56 pm   #2
samjmann
Heptode

Default Re: Mitsubishi Z20 Upright play Hi-Fi

Hello,

Yes, I've seen this a few times over the years. The one that springs to mind is a Sharp 80's boom-box, possibly a GF-8585. I found it impossible to solder the 'end-tags' of the printed resistors. All I could do was a point-to-point wiring of an 1/4 watt resistor to fix the board. As far as I know the user has had no more problems with it, so hopefully no more will go high value.

All the best for the New Year, SJM.
Closed Thread