UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jan 2020, 7:24 pm   #21
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Which network was the most 'on time' for the New Year?

Pedants celebrated the Millennium in the year 2001. Pragmatists celebrated it in the year 2000. Hedonists celebrated it both times!
Old 1st Jan 2020, 11:24 pm   #22
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
I just wondered if anyone knows or noticed whether this most traditional form of broadcasting was still on time. I do hope so as next year, I will check!
No need to wait till next New Year

https://youtu.be/_I1y0u8eIcs

It's pretty much spot on compared to DCF-77 particularly if you allow for LCD display lag in a cool room.

Pat Simmons TIM is included just for fun from my phone system There is an NTP reference, but the pips are not strictly synchronized to it. There is a 1 second lag as you can hear, and it drifts later and later as the recording stack continues to run.
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 12:06 am   #23
PaulM
Hexode

Hmmm., but what about the 'bongs' coming over live via an OB link (landline, still?)?

Pips could be adjusted to allow for delay. Cynical - maybe - but in this case any delay could be allowed for by advancing the pips. I will only be fully convinced with something a bit more deterministic and provable.

I hope that it is still truly 'live' but is it? Wikipedia suggests that it's accurate, but truly 'live'? see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Radio_4

<< Only pips broadcast on FM/MW/LW are accurate >>

So, probable, but not yet fully proven!

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 1:15 am   #24
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulM View Post
Hmmm., but what about the 'bongs' coming over live via an OB link (landline, still?)?

Pips could be adjusted to allow for delay. Cynical - maybe - but in this case any delay could be allowed for by advancing the pips. I will only be fully convinced with something a bit more deterministic and provable.

I hope that it is still truly 'live' but is it? Wikipedia suggests that it's accurate, but truly 'live'? see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Radio_4

<< Only pips broadcast on FM/MW/LW are accurate >>

So, probable, but not yet fully proven!

Best regards,

Paul M
I don't know if it's the "fizzy pop" but there always seems to be one co-reveler at a NYE party who is convinced it isn't midnight until the last bong.
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 2:25 am   #25
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

This thread seems to support the horological adage that "a man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never quite sure"
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 9:17 am   #26
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
For those who were watching Jools: how many of you were singing the words of The Wurzels' 'Combine Harvester' to 'Brand New Key'?
Well, you had to sing something to drown out Melanie's dreadful croaking...
Old 2nd Jan 2020, 9:31 am   #27
bobsterkent
Hexode

Quote:
For those who were watching Jools: how many of you were singing the words of The Wurzels' 'Combine Harvester' to 'Brand New Key'?
me!