UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2021, 8:48 pm   #1
spamfritter
Pentode

Default Old Tomorrow's World.

By all means chuck this out if not permitted.

Does anybody remember the BBC Tomorrows World programme where Raymond Baxter was discussing the "new" Magnox nuclear reactors just coming on line and that electricity would be so cheap to produce that it would be almost if not free ? Next question -- does anybody have or know if a recording exists of the programme ? I was discussing this with an old friend the other day and he does not believe me.
Old 8th Jun 2021, 9:14 pm   #2

Default Re: Old Tomorrows world

Nuclear power being "too cheap to meter" was used a lot in the early days and may well have stuck for a bit. Calder Hall, our first electricity generating reactor site was Magnox (Magnesium, non oxidising, the fuel rod cladding and heat sink). As to Tomorrows world, that started a bit late (1965, Calder Hall 1956) for it to be news. Raymond Baxter had a lovely voice and was heard in many things possibly an information film about Calder Hall.

These reactors had the main purpose of producing Plutonium from Uranium for bombs, the electricity generated was a handy use for the heat, take away the cost of munitions manufacture and the electricity was a nearly free by product.

Old 8th Jun 2021, 10:57 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Selected Tomorrows World programmes are available on YouTube. I've not seen that one, but not watched them all, so it's possible its on there.

John.
Old 8th Jun 2021, 11:44 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

Might it be this?

http://www.screenonline.org.uk/film/...578/index.html
Old 10th Jun 2021, 11:16 pm   #5
spamfritter
Pentode

Default Re: Old Tomorrow's World.

Thanks for the info. Not sure if its the right one but I will open an account if I can and take a look at it as soon as I can.
Old 11th Jun 2021, 4:53 am   #6
its ur aerial
Hexode

Default Re: Old Tomorrow's World.

Raymond Baxter, I did his Telly once, in the early 70`s, he lived in a big house at Denham Bucks. Dual Standard 25 inch Bush, possibly a CV25 intermittent pic, no fault found, I think I changed the PY and PL, just to pacify him.
Don't remember getting a Tip !

Ken, G6HZG .