UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2020, 1:22 pm   #1
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Default Decca Deram 205 problem

Hi I have a Decca Deram record player and i have two problems.
1. I cleaned and greased the gear cam underneath but when you switch on the auto the turntable starts turning and then stalls and has to be moved around manually until the record drops.

Also the major problem is the magidisc sensor.
it doesn't seem to click into its proper position and this causes the tone arm a tension that it is restricted eg. it will not free up to play the record unless you jolt the the sensor once that is done the arm is free to move to and fro also the the tone arm doesn't lift off the disc either

Can anyone explain what all that is about is there something not connecting right etc/
all advice appreciated
Old 13th Aug 2020, 3:40 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Decca Deram 205 problem

This uses the Garrard AT5 deck. The stalling turntable is due to some still remaining dried up grease combined with a lack of use. There may also be poor turntable torque due to a hardened idler wheeel.
These autochangers do not use a "Magidisk" type record size selector. I assume you are meaning the swinging stub the RH rear? Also, it does not "click" down as such. I wonder if someone has fitted another type of deck into it?
Old 13th Aug 2020, 5:32 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

As always, a photo will help to answer the questions.
Old 13th Aug 2020, 6:44 pm   #4
K.C.pye1958
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
This uses the Garrard AT5 deck. The stalling turntable is due to some still remaining dried up grease combined with a lack of use. There may also be poor turntable torque due to a hardened idler wheeel.
These autochangers do not use a "Magidisk" type record size selector. I assume you are meaning the swinging stub the RH rear? Also, it does not "click" down as such. I wonder if someone has fitted another type of deck into it?
Hi Edward,
yes you are right the stub doesn't seem click back into position when the record drops and i notice that when it is in that state the tone arm is resistant and won't move beyond a certain point on the disc, however, if you jolt or manually move the stub back in place it frees up the tone arm to move to and fro.
when you bring the tone arm to the end of the disc it can slide across the disc in auto function instead of lifting and returning to the rest point
Closed Thread