UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Aug 2020, 1:40 pm   #1
Philhead
Diode

Default Philips 205 record player

Hi

I have inherited a Philips 205 record player (wooden casing, brown plastic lid type). It has one outgoing socket for speaker connections with a round plug and 5 male ends in a half moon. Inside are white, blue, green and red wires. How do I connect to a speaker? The original owners said they didn’t have an amp but no longer had the speaker they used.

Thoughts?
Old 11th Aug 2020, 2:44 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Philips 205 record player

You seem to be describing a 5 pin DIN socket. It's highly unlikely that this would be used to connect speakers. It would originally have been used to connect a tape recorder or cassette deck, though you could also use it to connect an external amplifier.

The speakers are likely to use 2 pin DIN speaker plugs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector

[Later] I've checked and this is actually a record deck, not a record player. It needs an external amplifier and cannot drive speakers directly.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_ga205ga_20.html
Old 11th Aug 2020, 4:06 pm   #3
RojDW48
Nonode

Philips made quite a few incarnations of that style of TT in the 70s, and they are nice players. But it might need some work if it has not been used for years. Do you not have any audio equipment you could connect to?
Old 11th Aug 2020, 4:16 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I believe it has a ceramic cartridge, but I don't know if it has any form of preamp inside.
Old 11th Aug 2020, 10:03 pm   #5
nicam49
Hexode

Hi, no it doesn't have a preamp. It's a very nice semi automatic TT. There's a YouTube vid of a demo with a Philips amp. Just go on YT and type in search box 'Philips 205'
Old 12th Aug 2020, 12:12 am   #6
RojDW48
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicam49 View Post
Hi, no it doesn't have a preamp. It's a very nice semi automatic TT. There's a YouTube vid of a demo with a Philips amp. Just go on YT and type in search box 'Philips 205'
It might have a phono pre-amp - there were ceramic and MM cartridge options and a little compartment to pop in the pre if the owner wanted to buy one.