UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2020, 9:32 am   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Which new Multimeter?

My old R/S fluke is looking it's age now the selector has lost its positive click stop. I was thinking of treating myself to a new meter from the Fluke range, I am looking at the 115, thoughts please.

Mick.
Old 9th Aug 2020, 9:49 am   #2
Sinewave
Octode

Default Re: Which new Multimeter?

I've got the 115, nice handy meter in a small package. 3.5 digit, so it's fine for most things.
Old 9th Aug 2020, 12:15 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

Why not refurbish your existing Fluke? Repairing an end stop is quite straightforward. Assuming it's a 70 series meter it'll be better made and more robust than some of the modern offerings.

Alan
Old 9th Aug 2020, 12:28 pm   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I’ve got a 115 at work, seems to be a very good rugged meter, good positive click to the selector, auto power off, and can be woken back up just by pressing one of the buttons, rather than having to rotate the selector back to off and then to whatever it was set to before (the 111 does this rather annoyingly!). Battery lasts ages, and the display backlight is fairly good too. I do find the continuity beeper a bit on the quiet side though, not good in a noisy environment, but in a quiet workshop it’s fine. The yellow rubber bit comes off, so it’s easy to clean it, and there’s a little stand in the back and space for the probes. Not a bad meter in my opinion, I’d like one for my workshop! I’ve actually got a 111 for home use, which I upgraded to have a display backlight, it’s good, but the selector knob breaks off easily, and when it does it’s auto power off thing you have to rotate the selector back to off and then back on to wake it back up, which probably helps wear out the selector even more!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 9th Aug 2020, 1:02 pm   #5
vinrads
Dekatron

Thank's Lloyd and Sinewave , Alan I did look at refurb but there seems to be plastic notches that are worn if I remember correctly . I think the 115 is the one for me , now searching for a bargain. Mick.
Closed Thread