UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Apr 2020, 5:13 pm   #1
technotel
Pentode

Default Bush DAC90A Dial glass

Can anyone help to guide me towards where I can obtain another or repro dial glass for Bush DAC90A? I am so angry with myself. I tried cleaning what was my mint glass. I used a cotton bud and applied virtually no pressure at all to clean with water. The bud was barely damp, but some of the paint has come away. Its not bad but now I know its flaked in tiny areas, I not happy. I heard that you can get repro glass dials that actually very good match to the orignal?
Thanks guys
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 5:31 pm   #2
greg_simons
Octode

Default Re: Bush DAC90A Dial glass

There's a greek guy who makes better than original reproductions, can't find his details at the moment but others here may have them, I'll keep looking.
Greg.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 5:39 pm   #3
greg_simons
Octode

https://www.yanniskaralis.com/buy-bu...ass-dial-scale
Link as promised
Greg.
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 5:47 pm   #4
technotel
Pentode

Hi Greg
Your a life saver cheers mate
Old 22nd Apr 2020, 7:32 pm   #5
Keith956
Heptode

You can make one.

First download the image from : http://www.pasttimesradio.co.uk/dials/tuningdials.html

You will need some A4 transfer paper, you can find it on Amazon or eBay, I used this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You need to take the image and mirror it (MS paint or similar will do that) and then print onto the the transfer paper. I found I could fit 3 or 4 images onto a sheet so you have some to practise with! Check the image scale is correct so it will fit on your dial glass. With mine (a DAC10 dial) the image was exactly the right size, I don't know if this was a fluke or if the images had already been sized to fit.

Once printed, spray about 4 coats of clear varnish onto the printed side. This helps protect the (fragile) transfer. Wait about 15mins between each coat, then let dry overnight.

Clean your old dial glass thoroughly - a green scouring pad should get it clean - then put it in a tray of clean cold water in a suitable shallow tray, then carefully place the transfer in and wait about 30 seconds till it will slide off the backing paper. Gently position the transfer on the dial glass. You can use the backing paper to gently press the transfer to make sure there are no air bubbles.

Drain the water and take the dial glass and put it somewhere to dry overnight.
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 6:23 pm   #6
technotel
Pentode

Wow Keith
Thanks so much for this. I will look into this for sure.
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 6:35 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Don't feel too bad about it. We have all done it! I learnt that lesson with a pre war Philips in 1961 when I was 13. A lesson learned. Without mistakes, how do you learn anything? John.
Old 23rd Apr 2020, 10:12 pm   #8
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
Don't feel too bad about it. We have all done it! I learnt that lesson with a pre war Philips in 1961 when I was 13. A lesson learned. Without mistakes, how do you learn anything? John.
I Leaned it on my neighbours KB toaster when I was about the same age.
Old 24th Apr 2020, 4:51 am   #9
technotel
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I Leaned it on my neighbours KB toaster when I was about the same age.
I appreciate all help with this. Tried getting in touch with the guy in Cyrus who makes quality reproductions but he has not returned my emails sadly. I will attempt the transfer myself and so ordered the A4 transfer paper and clear varnish.
In the mean time is there anywhere I can download a hi res image of the dial glass for printing onto the A4 transfer paper.
Many thanks again
Old 24th Apr 2020, 5:49 am   #10
Keith956
Heptode

Did you try the pasttimes link in my post #5? If you scroll down and select the link DAC90A(All) you should get a zip file with a few variants of the dial.
Old 24th Apr 2020, 6:01 am   #11
technotel
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith956 View Post
Did you try the pasttimes link in my post #5? If you scroll down and select the link DAC90A(All) you should get a zip file with a few variants of the dial.
Hi Keith
I did yes but found the resolution quality not too good and just scratching around for maybe higher quality?
Old 24th Apr 2020, 10:35 am   #12
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by technotel View Post
Quote:
Hi Keith
I did yes but found the resolution quality not too good and just scratching around for maybe higher quality?
The quality of the scan will makes little difference to the outcome, which I'm sorry to say, I think will be disappointing, for reasons I'll explain.

Back in 2013 when I first started experimenting with waterslide transfers (decals as they're more widely know), I obtained several scans of different DAC90A dials and other dials such as the KB FB10. I reversed the scans and created transfers on clear film on my ink jet printer which looked excellent while still on the white backing paper. However, when applied to the rear of the glass and held up to the light, they results were disappointing - nowhere near the level of opacity called for. Likewise, the KB FB10 'Toaster' dial was equally disappointing, (as was a Murphy U198).

You'll see that the scans look solid enough

The reason that this happens is that the transfers are meant to be applied to a solid background - typical images will show them applied to white mugs and plates or model cars etc. In that regard, I've had successful results with clear decal paper when applied to solid surfaces such as a painted metal dial, a metalised valve, a re-stuffed and refurbished smoothing capacitor can, which I've shown pictures of in a recent thread here, but that's of no help to you with your DAC90A dial:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=165911

I've no wish to discourage anyone from having a go - nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've attached scan of various DAC90A dials I experimented with and if it would help, will happily email the scans to you in reverse, ready to print.

To try to improve the 'opacity', I thought maybe if I applied a second transfer over the first it might have a successful outcome, but it didn't, apart from the fact that it was impossible to 'register' the two images accurately.

The instructions will tell you that after printing, you'll need to apply several coats of clear gloss acrylic lacquer allowing it to dry between coats. You need the best dust-free area you have - I have a greenhouse so spray in there, but if you need to do it indoors, when you've sprayed the sheet, cover it with a box or plastic container to stop dust settling on it. I leave it overnight to fully dry between coats. For extra durability, when you've applied the transfer you can give it a coat on the rear.

Applying larger transfers such as the DAC90A dial is an acquired skill.

When you've soaked it in warm water, holding it down so it doesn't curl up, you need to make sure by testing between your finger and thumb that it will slide easily without stretching. Don't slide the transfer off the backing paper or it will wrinkle up. Instead, hold the transfer, still on the backing paper, where you wish to apply it, then gently slide the backing paper from beneath the transfer taking care not to stretch the film, smoothing it in place as you go. It helps if you wet the glass first so you can slide the film around a little to position it exactly before you smooth it down, excluding the water and any air bubbles.

You should be able to fit four dials on an A4 sheet of paper to give you several attempts.

Pic 1: Early brown DAC90A dial.
Pic 2: Later DAC90A dial.
Pic 3: Alternative DAC90AS dial.
Pic 4: Front and reverse scan of a KB FB10 'Toaster' dial.

Hope these notes might be of interest and help a bit.

Every success in your efforts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC90A Early Brown Dial.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	203838   Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC90A later version dial_edited-1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	203839   Click image for larger version

Name:	DAC90 Dial Scan_edited-1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	203840   Click image for larger version

Name:	KB FB10 Dial Scans.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	203841  
Old 24th Apr 2020, 11:24 am   #13
Keith956
Heptode

The opacity of transfers is not perfect, David, but with the dim scale bulbs I didn't think it was that bad! Way better than the damaged original. Yannis's dials are nice but he doesn't offer one for the DAC10 I was renovating.
Old 24th Apr 2020, 11:25 am   #14
PJL
Dekatron

I have just sent off an enquiry to a company that does digital printing on glass for exhibition displays. Anyone investigated this before?
Old 24th Apr 2020, 12:11 pm   #15
Radio tirana
Pentode

Hi
It might be worth contacting Ben Dijkman and asking if he could help. I expect he would need an order for a large quantity in order to make it economical though.
The quality of the reproduction dials he produces is outstanding.
https://www.bendijkman.nl/
no connection just a satisfied customer.

Regards RT
Old 24th Apr 2020, 2:41 pm   #16
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Ben's dials are superb and keenly priced, as are his back panels, speaker fabric and knobs, though as might be expected, are mostly for continental radios. I bought one from him for an Ekco AC77 some while ago. Top quality screen printed, though with continental spelling - eg, 'Londres' rather than 'London'. He said that if I could get 25 people to order, he'd have printed one with station names in English.
Old 24th Apr 2020, 3:19 pm   #17
technotel
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by technotel View Post
Quote:
Hi Keith
The quality of the scan will makes little difference to the outcome, which I'm sorry to say, I think will be disappointing, for reasons I'll explain.

Back in 2013 when I first started experimenting with waterslide transfers (decals as they're more widely know), I obtained several scans of different DAC90A dials and other dials such as the KB FB10. I reversed the scans and created transfers on clear film on my ink jet printer which looked excellent while still on the white backing paper. However, when applied to the rear of the glass and held up to the light, they results were disappointing - nowhere near the level of opacity called for. Likewise, the KB FB10 'Toaster' dial was equally disappointing, (as was a Murphy U198).

You'll see that the scans look solid enough

The reason that this happens is that the transfers are meant to be applied to a solid background - typical images will show them applied to white mugs and plates or model cars etc. In that regard, I've had successful results with clear decal paper when applied to solid surfaces such as a painted metal dial, a metalised valve, a re-stuffed and refurbished smoothing capacitor can, which I've shown pictures of in a recent thread here, but that's of no help to you with your DAC90A dial:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=165911

I've no wish to discourage anyone from having a go - nothing ventured, nothing gained. I've attached scan of various DAC90A dials I experimented with and if it would help, will happily email the scans to you in reverse, ready to print.

To try to improve the 'opacity', I thought maybe if I applied a second transfer over the first it might have a successful outcome, but it didn't, apart from the fact that it was impossible to 'register' the two images accurately.

The instructions will tell you that after printing, you'll need to apply several coats of clear gloss acrylic lacquer allowing it to dry between coats. You need the best dust-free area you have - I have a greenhouse so spray in there, but if you need to do it indoors, when you've sprayed the sheet, cover it with a box or plastic container to stop dust settling on it. I leave it overnight to fully dry between coats. For extra durability, when you've applied the transfer you can give it a coat on the rear.

Applying larger transfers such as the DAC90A dial is an acquired skill.

When you've soaked it in warm water, holding it down so it doesn't curl up, you need to make sure by testing between your finger and thumb that it will slide easily without stretching. Don't slide the transfer off the backing paper or it will wrinkle up. Instead, hold the transfer, still on the backing paper, where you wish to apply it, then gently slide the backing paper from beneath the transfer taking care not to stretch the film, smoothing it in place as you go. It helps if you wet the glass first so you can slide the film around a little to position it exactly before you smooth it down, excluding the water and any air bubbles.

You should be able to fit four dials on an A4 sheet of paper to give you several attempts.

Pic 1: Early brown DAC90A dial.
Pic 2: Later DAC90A dial.
Pic 3: Alternative DAC90AS dial.
Pic 4: Front and reverse scan of a KB FB10 'Toaster' dial.

Hope these notes might be of interest and help a bit.

Every success in your efforts.
Hi David
Thanks for this great information as well. I will still have a go for sure. As you say "nothing ventured, nothing gained" I will certainly add photos of my attempts. I will be a good learning curve
Thanks again
Old 25th Apr 2020, 6:11 pm   #18
technotel
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_simons View Post
Hi Greg
Is this Yannis Karalis chap legit ?? I messaged him twice and also paid £16 for PDF easy resto guide to these sets via PayPal. I had no replies about the glass of email with link to download pdf file !!!
Old 26th Apr 2020, 11:36 am   #19
technotel
Pentode

All good
Yannis has emailed me and repro glass ordered
Thanks guys
Old 15th Aug 2020, 2:08 pm   #20
technotel
Pentode

Just a little update on this thread. I will soon have my DAC90A finished and will upload photos for anyone that would like to see them?
Thanks for all help and support on this set
technotel
Closed Thread