UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2020, 5:58 pm   #41
SteveP02
Triode

Default Re: Quad 303 thundering (in a bad way)

Correction: it's both channels. I was standing next the amp when it just did it and was able to pull the source and speaker connections in sequence before it stopped (it usually lasts 5-10 seconds). It's definitely both channels and sounds like the wind blowing over an open mic with the volume turned up high.
Old 15th Oct 2020, 6:28 pm   #42
Radio Wrangler

Did the two channels produce the same noise, in synchronism?

I'm wondering about the PSU regulator. The two amps being AC coupled outputs will couple PSU fluctuations to the speakers.

Alternatively a prob in one amp could pull the PSU down a bit and affect a good channel.

David
Old 15th Oct 2020, 9:22 pm   #43
SteveP02
Triode

I couldn't say for sure about synch, but I think so. I have one 303 per speaker, the one channel drives the low and the other the high range. The noise from the low range drowned out the high until I disconnected that channel. The remaining high range rumble was much quieter, more a slight rustling and hissing, but of course that may simply be because it's higher range.
Old 15th Oct 2020, 10:09 pm   #44
Radio Wrangler

It'll be easier to diagnose set up simply, one 303 only with each channel driving one full range speaker.

Otherwise you won't be able to compare channels, and you'll miss some valuable clues.

David
Old 16th Oct 2020, 6:09 pm   #45
SteveP02
Triode

Yes, makes sense. It's one of those maddeningly intermittent faults that means I can run the amp for weeks without problem then when it happens I'm still running towards it as it all settles down again. Perseverance.
Old 7th Nov 2020, 11:45 am   #46
SteveP02
Triode

Well, the original problem was getting worse, coming every few days rather than weeks and somehow the whole thing just not sounding quite right, so I went for the obvious problem and changed out two transistors (TR105 & TR106) on the driver board.

I followed the tuning steps below again and now the final step has a steady reading without the wandering and spiking that was present before:

1.Adjust PSU board (not shown) for 67v
2.Adjust RV100 to set 33.5v between pins 5 and 9 on the line of connections coming onto the board
3. Adjust RV101 to measure ~10mV between pins 4 and 6

It's too early to say if it's had any impact on the "growl" but to my ears the sound is improved, back in focus.

Thanks to all for the information and encouragement.

Last edited by SteveP02; 7th Nov 2020 at 11:55 am.
Old 8th Dec 2020, 12:49 pm   #47
SteveP02
Triode

All has been quiet for a month now...... I'm not going to tempt fate but.......
Old 8th Dec 2020, 4:34 pm   #48
Radio Wrangler

Maybe it was a dirty pot on the PSU board and that tweak cleaned it up?

David
Old 10th Dec 2020, 6:20 pm   #49
SteveP02
Triode

FWIW I think I can rule out the PSU board as that was the one I didn't adjust as the driver boards were steady at 67V. That said, I take the point that the amp may have been just craving my attention!
I'm happy to settle for everything sounding great again. Lot's of listening time has been one of the few upsides of the Covid months, so having a my hifi back together has been great.
Closed Thread