UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2006, 10:01 pm   #1
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Default another Bush VHF 61 springs to life

Ive just completed my first Bush VHF 61, and what a nice little set.

Its ended up as a "bitsa", I had one with an intact case, but very sorry chassis, and the earlier grille cloth which was ripped. the dark coloured knobs were in a very sorry state.

The other one I bought off stevekendal for a tenner, supplied with no valves and a cracked case, but had a good chassis, the later tygan grille cloth, and the cream knobs, which contrast nicely against the tuning scale.

Anyway, I built the series lamp limiter, swapped the valves, and powered the second set up.
I was met with a flickering lamp, and the VHF head decoupler visibly arcing inside !!. I had already ordered a set of caps from RS, as the moldseals and waxies were in a visibly distressed state !!
I went through and replaced all the moldseals and waxies, and checked the power supply electrolytic for leakage. this took a good couple of afternoons as I wanted to keep all the lead lengths an positions the same as the originals, and some were a bit fiddly to get at.

I checked all resistors visually and the droppers for value. all were fine.

I then powered it up again via the limiter and the set burst into life. A quick check confirmed operation on all bands, so I bypassed the lamp and let the set soak test.

The case needed a good dose of tape removal, as at some point the back panel had been vinyl taped on !!. this was followed by a good brassoing, and wax polishing. the brass bar acrosss the front was polished and lacquered, and the brass paint renewed (odds and ends from B+Q was a good match).

the piano keys were cleaned up, and the knobs checked for binding. The tone knob had sheared from its collet where it pushes onto the shaft, so I drilled the remains out, and cut the collet from another knob. this was turned to diameter to fit the drilled hole, and the two parts were araldited together.

I fibreglass brushed and brassoed the brass trims, and gave them a coat of lacquer.

the tuning mechanism was cleaned up and relubed, and the chassis was then put back together.

everything was then bolted back into the case, and the set was treated to a new EM81 (1.99 off ebay).

the back panel was cleaned up with bath cleaning foam and wax polished, and fastened on.

the set has now displaced the philips 462 in the hall, as it's got FM, it has quite a good sound for the size of speaker, and is a very tidy looking set.

next on my list is getting the nixie clock kit finished that santa brought !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1282.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	2541   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT1283.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	2542  
Old 22nd Jan 2006, 12:23 am   #2
yestertech
Nonode

Default Re: another Bush VHF 61 springs to life

Steve - well done you ! It looks fabulous.
A small set with a surprisingly good sound. ( Mind, not so hot if you remove the frequency adjusted feedback, but what's wrong with a bit of cheating ? )
A.
Old 23rd Jan 2006, 9:21 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Hello Steve,

Thats a lovely radio And a super job .... I really like these late 50s Bush valve radios a in black bakelite case and lots of brass trim and with VHF ! Theyre quite compact arent they ? I ask cos I dont have a lot of room and I really would like to aquire one of these

Howard
Old 24th Jan 2006, 10:37 am   #4
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

Ill measure it up for you.
They have chaeted a bit with the VHF 61 as the chassis acutally sticks out of the back of the case for a bit, and the back panel comes out a bit- like a telly. They are reasonably compact thought, and a nice looking set.
Old 24th Jan 2006, 2:11 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Thanks Steve.
Old 24th Jan 2006, 2:52 pm   #6
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

I didn't realise that they didn't use the same chassis as the VHF71. I have a VHF71 that I restored 2 years ago and the two sets look identical all bar the positioning of the tuning indicator...... they do sound superb though.

Well done... Great job!!

Lee
Old 24th Jan 2006, 3:03 pm   #7
Aub
Nonode

Super job. Well done!

Aub
Old 24th Jan 2006, 7:47 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The VHF71 also has one less button and a couple of filler pieces to allow them to use the same cabinet. I think the VHF71 is an AC/DC set, so the missing button is GRAM.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 25th Jan 2006, 9:29 am   #9
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

And the dimensions are ( all in good old inches)

16 1/2 wide

11 1/2 high

9 1/2 deep
Old 25th Jan 2006, 9:43 am   #10
howard
Nonode

Thanks Steve,

Yes, it is a compact set ! I WILL get one ! Thanks.

Howard
Closed Thread