UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Aug 2008, 12:15 am   #1
ben
Dekatron

Default Hallicrafters sx42: restoration feasible?

....Hoping the knowledgeable out there will come to my aid on this one! Apologies in advance as no pics, so there isn`t much to go on...
I have, sitting gathering dust, an sx 42 which according to the site in the link dates from 1947-50. It appears to be complete and in reasonable nick considering its age, but is unrestored and I have not powered it up.

I was wondering whether this model is pleasant to work on, or would it be a major, drawn-out project to restore? I also have no idea of its value, so any thoughts on that front also appreciated - Being more a tv /video and domestic audio man, this beast is a little intimidating!

cheers, Ben

Last edited by ben; 18th Aug 2008 at 12:16 am. Reason: typos
Old 18th Aug 2008, 2:39 am   #2
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Hallicrafters sx42: restoration feasible?

Hallicrafters made some of THE best radios of their era.
The legendary SX28/28a, added to their reputation, and immediate post-war models, including the SX42 enhanced it further.

The 42 has, as you will know, an amazing frequency coverage, and a few novel features.

I would say that it is definately worth restoring.
In fact, you may well find that there is little wrong with it.

First check that it is a 240 volt model as many 110volt only ones can be found.
Then power up using a variac / lamp limiter, etc, in the usual way.

As for value, all Hallicrafters radios are saleable, although unelss fully, and properly, restored are rarely worth some of the prices asked.

My guess, and that is all it is, is that as it is, it would probably fetch around £30, and restored, around £150 or so.
Old 21st Aug 2008, 12:04 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Thanks Alan. I'm glad I saved it from the skip, even though I almost did my back in getting it home!

I think I will try powering up with the series bulb and will post back as and when.
Ben
Old 21st Aug 2008, 12:11 pm   #4
Station X

My experience with Hallicrafters this old is that all the paper dielctric capacitors will need replacing along with any out of spec resistors.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread