UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Feb 2008, 1:47 pm   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Unusual frame timebase circuits.

In my notes about the Baird T23 TV set I mentioned that the frame timebase employs a single valve, the circuit serves as a power oscillator.

Two post war TV receivers employ a single valve in the frame timebase. One is the Ambassador TV2. In this set the scanning coils include the oscillator primary and feedback windings. An additional winding backs off the magnetic field caused by the DC current through the primary. The FTB in the Ambassador employs a Mazda 20P1. A valve which one would consider to powerful for this application.
The other set which employs a similar circuit is the strange Murphy V136. In that set the valve is a Mazda 6F14, a valve intended for use as a video amplifier.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmbassadorFTB.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	15043  
Old 6th Feb 2008, 7:48 pm   #2
beery
Heptode

Default Re: Unusual frame timebase circuits.

Hi all,
here is the line and frame timebase circuit for the Baird T5/T23.
The frame timebase is on the right of the circuit and the frame coils are shown connected via an octal connector.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...2&d=1152616423

Cheers.
Andy

Last edited by beery; 6th Feb 2008 at 7:49 pm. Reason: spelling
Old 6th Feb 2008, 9:43 pm   #3
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Hi Andy,
You beat me to it, I was going to post the circuit diagram of the T23 later today.
The only difference between the timebase circuits of the two sets is that later T23 incorporates an interlace diode. This can be a 2D4A double diode or a Mazda AC/HL2 connected as a diode.

DFWB.
Old 6th Feb 2008, 10:54 pm   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The German E1 receiver employs a single valve frame timebase. The circuit diagram appears on the ETF website. The valve a special type, the ES111.

http://www.earlytelevision.org/e1_schematic.html

It could be that the frame circuit was a contribution from Fernseh AG, a firm that was associated with Baird Television in the early thirties.

DFWB.
Old 10th Feb 2008, 10:38 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello David,
It never fails to amaze me how simple the timebase circuits can be in vintage receivers. The madness appears to come up for breath in circuits such as the Murphy V136 that you mention. The crazy idea at the time was to save a valve in the circuit but Murphy then used TWO expensive 6P28's in the line output stage, totally unnecessary as all other makers used one.
The gas Thyratrons such as the Mazda T41 and 6K25 were used into the early 50's by Ultra and others and worked quite well but as the valves aged they tended to go unstable. Very few components were used in the circuit and the replacement of the occasional valve was simple and quick.
The Bush T91 and TV1 used the Mullard EN31 in both frame and line generators but I believe this was the only application of the Mullard Thyratron in post war receivers. J.
Closed Thread