UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2008, 10:51 pm   #1
dominicbeesley
Octode

Default TV24 EHT questions

I was going to have a go at stripping down and resealing the LOPTx today as discussed in the LOPT Saturation thread started by Heatercathodeshort.

Before starting I decided I'd make a HV probe and give the set one more chance to prove itself before this drastic surgery. Much to my surprise its worked faultlessly since the Rugby finished this afternoon without a hint of fade. EHT staying between 8.5KV (testcard) 8-10Kv (off air) and 11 KV (no signal).

Previously watching off air programs the picture would gradually get darker and darker over the course of about and hour or so.

Could this be because the set has had a chance to "dry out" being in a nice warm living room for about 3 months near a radiator and coal fire? Previously had been in a slightly damp worshop.

Any ideas?

Dom
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 10:58 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: TV24 EHT questions

Possibly, yeah. Keep with it and see what happens. I had a Bush TV125 'repair' itself similarly 2 years back.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 12th Feb 2008, 11:41 pm   #3
jooles405
Triode

I was interested to see the reference to a TV125 LOPT - I have a TV125 which exhibits simialr problmes - the A1 and EHT are fine after switch on (and warm up) but then over the next five minutes or so the levels drop and the raster fades. If left on the overwind leg of the transformer over heats with a sizzle and smell of molten pitch at which point I hastily switched off. After cooling down the set works again as before. Any ideas if or how this can be fixed?
Old 12th Feb 2008, 11:49 pm   #4
Steve_P
Dekatron

This is what I call 'Bush LOPT disease'. It was common, and Rank LOPTs were sold by the hundred. The EHT overwind tends to Overheat, and when it does, the EHT falls away.

Ways to fix it:

1: Another LOPT.
2: Fit a tripler.
3: This idea - mod at the bottom of the page!
4: Have it rewound - Ed Dinning or MurphyMad do them.

Cheers,

Steve P

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ush+TV125+LOPT
Old 13th Feb 2008, 9:47 am   #5
dominicbeesley
Octode

Or after mine and Heatercathodeshort's in the other thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=24655 maybe just

5: try taking it out and giving it a long bake in an oven
6: "reflow" the pitch

Got to be worth a try

Dom

Last edited by dominicbeesley; 13th Feb 2008 at 9:57 am.
Old 14th Feb 2008, 1:37 pm   #6
jooles405
Triode

Thanks for the suggestions and the link. This stacks up with what I was thinking and I am in the process of removing the LOPT - rusted bolts in the grommet mounts are causing much frustration at the present time. I'll try the hairdryer approach in-situ while the WD40 is working on the rusted bolts. I'll report back in a day or two.