UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2006, 6:17 pm   #1
johnlees
Hexode

Default Repanco One-Valver with Reaction

I have recently built this replica of a Repanco kit which my father bought for me in the 1950's. What happened to the original I do not know. The chassis size was an estimated guess from looking at where components fitted, though I realize now that the original was not as tall as this - perhaps a quarter of an inch lower in height. The other thing is that I cannot remember whether the wander plug sockets on the back were originally fitted on the inside or the outside of the chassis.
The set works OK but I'm sure the original had much smoother reaction control and generally seemed better. Rosy coloured spectacles? The headphones are the original, by the way. I work it off a mains power pack for 90v HT and a small battery for LT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repanco.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	2920   Click image for larger version

Name:	set&phones.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuitdiagram.jpg
Views:	945
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	2922  
Old 26th Feb 2006, 6:56 pm   #2
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Default Re: Repanco One-Valver with Reaction

That looks good - and takes me back to my own first attempts.

Did you have the coil to hand or manage to find one somewhere? I've had in mind for a while to revisit some of my early efforts and try to do better this time around!
Old 26th Feb 2006, 7:06 pm   #3
johnlees
Hexode

Some kind person (apologies to you - I've forgotten who) on this forum supplied me with an original coil, though it needed a bit of work on it as it was open circuit in one coil (I forget which). A bit of careful soldering did the job.
The tuning condensers were brand new from somewhere (I have a bad memory!) and the chassis was made and drilled by an apprentice at a local firm.
I didn't post a picture of the underside wiring as I am sure it would cause from members of this forum!
Cheers, John.
Old 26th Feb 2006, 9:54 pm   #4
GMB
Dekatron

I built this when I was 9 years old - and I still have it (I think). So if there is anything you want to know about it then send me a PM.
Old 26th Feb 2006, 11:24 pm   #5
johnlees
Hexode

GMB , I have sent you a PM re the Repanco.
Old 26th Feb 2006, 11:31 pm   #6
ronbryan
Octode

Hi John

My recollection of the REP one valver that I built is that it used 67.5 V HT, instead of the 90V that you are using (it had a combined HT and LT battery).

It is possible that the higher HT is causing the the reaction control to be coarse. Try reducing it and see if the coarseness disappears.

Ron
Old 26th Feb 2006, 11:35 pm   #7
johnlees
Hexode

Ron, on reflection you could be right. How do I reduce the output from 90v to the required 67.5v? Stick a resistor in series, or is that too simple? Thanks for your interest. John.
Old 26th Feb 2006, 11:49 pm   #8
ronbryan
Octode

Hi John

Try a potential divider, using a 2.2k in series with the 90V and an 8.2k to 0V. Decouple the 8.2k with a capacitor, say 10uF 100V or whatever you have to hand. Feed the radio from the junction of the 2.2k and the 8.2k.

I assume that the 1T4 takes about 2ma and that the power supply will give at least 10mA. So 10mA across 2.2k drops 22V and 8mA (= 10mA -2mA) across 8.2k drops 67V. If my assumptions are incorrect, you will have to adjust the values accordingly.

A 1W resistor would probably be a good idea for the 8.2k!

Ron

Last edited by ronbryan; 27th Feb 2006 at 12:01 am.
Old 26th Feb 2006, 11:56 pm   #9
johnlees
Hexode

Many thanks, Ron. I will do that and will post the results here. Yes, I remember those combined HT and LT batteries with the four-pin plug. I remember they cost 6/3d. My goodness, those were the days! Many thanks for your concern once again. Many a time did I fall asleep listening to Radio Luxembourg on that set. Cheers, John.

Last edited by johnlees; 27th Feb 2006 at 12:04 am.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 12:53 am   #10
paulsherwin

You could also drop the voltage using a resistor and one or more zener diodes. A 44V and 22V zener in series should give about the right voltage. Probably OTT for this application though, unless you have the zeners to hand.

Paul
Old 27th Feb 2006, 9:44 am   #11
jmshep

Hi John
Could you pst the component values and the type of repanco coil used please?

John Shepherd

Old 27th Feb 2006, 11:00 am   #12
GMB
Dekatron

I can confirm that it ran on 67.5V HT.
But I think the add-on amplifier ran on 90V (which was awkward).
Old 27th Feb 2006, 1:13 pm   #13
johnlees
Hexode

Talking Re: Repanco One-Valver with Reaction

Thanks, all. No, those batteries weren't 6/3d, they were 8/3d !
Thanks Paul but I'll stick to resistors as zeners are a complete mystery to me as is this computer I am still trying to learn to use.
The coil was a "Repanco R.E.P. Dual Range with Reaction" (no reference number as far as I know). (R.E.P. stood for Radio Experimental Products who were at 33, Much Park Street, Coventry. This is boyhood memory at its best. They still exist, but not at that address and I have lost their new address. I did write to them a couple of years ago to ask if they still had any bits and pieces from the old days but they wrote back saying, "We don't deal in mediaeval technology." (Their words exactly !!)
Values for jmshep:- C1 and C2 100 Pfd fixed, C2 0.0003 variable, C3 0.0005 variable, C5 0.005 fixed, R1 1Meg, R2 2K, valve is 1T4, switch is single pole on/off and wavechange combined. Cheers all. John.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 4:31 pm   #14
ronbryan
Octode

Hi jmshep

The R.E.P coil reference is DRR2 - as John says, dual range with reaction. There's a picture of one on Maurice Woodhead's site, in an old Home Radio catalogue extract.

http://vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/...oke/choke6.jpg

Ron
Old 27th Feb 2006, 4:42 pm   #15
johnlees
Hexode

Hello, Ron & others. I have done the circuit mod. you recommended and the HT voltage is now 67v precisely (after I used a 1.5K instead of your suggested 2.2K, which only gave me an HT of 61v).
The volume seems just as loud as when it was on 90v HT and the reaction is much smoother and controllable. Many thanks for that, Ron. I think tonight it's an extra to celebrate!
Yes, that is the correct coil. I remember DRR2 now.
Old 27th Feb 2006, 8:46 pm   #16
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello! The REPANCO DRR2 coil is a little cracker and easily spotted by its coloured paint spots on the tags. I have managed to unearth my little effort that I built when I was about 12 or 13. I fed it into an amp just to try it and it still works very well! If you substitute an EF91 in place of the 1T4 and rewire the base,feeding the heater with a 6.3v transformer, the results are amazing. The H.T. in this case can be 90v. The wander socket is mounted on the inside on mine but what does it matter? I think you have made a splendid job of yours John and most of these sets were never built to the original layout. Great fun that will never be experienced by todays over indulged kids.
Regards JOHN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Repanco 1.JPG
Views:	481
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	2941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Repanco 2.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	2942  
Old 27th Feb 2006, 10:08 pm   #17
johnlees
Hexode

Yes, that's an interesting home-built radio using the Repanco coil. Mine came as a complete kit including chassis and headphones. Do you know, I cannot remember what colour the wiring was on the original. I've done mine with black wire, but I have a feeling the original was orange and all done with straight lines and right angles. The other thing is that my replica's chassis is brushed (very slightly) aluminium whereas the original was definitely not
Has anyone else got one of these sets? Cheers, John.