UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2006, 1:00 am   #1
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Roberts R24

I've just repaired this one for another collector. If you look at my original thread in the 'parts required' section, Howard describes a method of repairing the on-off switch. I didn't think his repair would work on this set but I had nothing to lose so I tried it...and it worked! Thanks Howard.

Now the next problem was that it didn't work on LW or MW but was perfect on FM. I then asked if anyone had a circuit for the set and Stewart very kindly scanned the manual and emailed it to me. I suspected that the TDA5700 was duff as this handles all the AM side of things as well as being the FM IF amp. As FM was OK I decided that signal generator checks would be next. Everything was OK right up to the aerial input...I could even inject spot frequencies and tune them in on the radio. So the aerial part was decidedly dead. C326 is the bottom-end coupling capacitor...common to LW and MW. Close inspection showed that it was broken, one lead was snapped off. I fitted a new 10nF ceramic and Hey Presto!! away it went.

This was one situation where the manual was almost essential to identify various points to inject signals. Without it, much time would have been wasted and possibly the set would have been left unrepaired.

Once again this forum has proved it's usefulness and the extremely helpful people who use it

Rich
Old 7th Feb 2006, 10:42 pm   #2
howard
Nonode

Default Re: Roberts R24

Hello Richard,

Gosh, you learnt something from me ? Wow ! That makes a change

Nice radios the R23/R24/R25s, and the R24 with the blue anodised tuning scale is my favourite out of the three. Good that youve given one new life

Howard
Old 7th Feb 2006, 11:27 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Roberts R24

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard
Hello Richard,

Gosh, you learnt something from me ? Wow ! That makes a change
Howard. It doesn't matter how long you have been servicing/repairing/restoring radio's, you can always pick up tips from someone else, especially so in restoration.

Rich.