UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Sep 2008, 8:18 pm   #1
Magic Band
Retired Dormant Member

Default Kenwood SP-70 desk-top speaker

Re: vintage Kenwood SP-70 desk-top speaker: I recently have bought one and the case/cabin looks excellent, no scratches, etc., and this SP-70 even came with the original LF-cable.

At first I was very content with this clean speaker, who matches my vintage Kenwood TS-600 (6m.) and TS-700 (2m.). However, after 1 day I wasn't happy with the audio. I expected an improved soundstage in comparison with the build-in speakers. The audio of 'my' copy of the SP-70 sounds dull, fatigue, less-detailed, less brightness (almost no audio above 1.5 kHz.), a less dynamic soundstage. I prefer the build-in speakers of both rigs (8 ohm TRIO, 0.5 W.) as well as the Kenwood TS-690S. With the 1.8 KHz. SSB-filter from the TS-690S, stations were hardly readable with the SP-70......

So I looked inside the SP-70. No mods, do damages, although the speaker-unit looks smaller, there is space for a bigger unit...
Both SP-70 feet are sealed, however the speaker-unit isn't sealed.... a replacement maybe?

First 2 steps: I cleaned the contacts, removed the 1 inch thick filt in front of the speaker-unit (moved the filt to the bottom of the SP-70 cabin), and I earned a little bit of brightness. Still a disappointing soundstage.

Nex 2 steps: improving the audio-cable, and in the SP-70 I used Kimber TC-4 OFC-copper wire, not twisted, between both terminals and the speaker-unit. Again a small improvement of the brightness. However, the build-in speakers still win.

That's why I now have doubts: is the speaker-unit the original, or a replacement. I enclose a photo:

http://tinyurl.com/3t4lhn

Data on the speaker unit: GPF-120B, 12P55S, 8 ohm, 2.5 W., Japan 852u?
(no TRIO or Kenwood brand)

Maybe I am spoiled by using the Kenwood SP-230 desk top speaker with a TS-830s in the '80s, which was a big improvement in comparison with the TS-830S build-in speaker.

=> Summary: my question: my SP-70 has the original speaker-unit?

Thanks,
Robert

Last edited by Magic Band; 12th Sep 2008 at 8:25 pm.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 8:45 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Kenwood SP-70 desk-top speaker

The speaker unit inside my Trio SP-5D has very similar markings to that. There is no mention of Trio or Kenwood on the unit itself.

You have to remember that these types of speakers were designed to match the styling of the radios they were used with. The inside was nothing special.

If you're unhappy with the sound try fitting a new speaker unit in case the old one's faulty in some way.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 8:57 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Yes, as Graham says, that speaker looks original.

Don't waste your time with OFC cables, it's pointless in this kind of situation, any cable will be more than adequate.

You may, however, get a vast improvement by using a better quality speaker in place of the very weedy original. Maybe try something out of an old TV or radio/cassette. Fit the biggest that will go in the cabinet. Don't pay $$ for something special, all you need is a basic, good quality full-range device salvaged from some piece of scrap consumer electronics.

It's a shame you're not closer as I have boxes full of salvaged speakers.

Once you're satisified it works, you might be able to fix it in place with glue rather than screws.

Nick.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 9:15 pm   #4
Station X

I have to say that my rice box Comms Receiver feeds an 8 inch oval 4 ohm RS speaker via 4 feet of bell wire. It doesn't even have an enclosure. It's just stuck to a filing cabinet with its own magnet. It sounds fine to me. I don't know what sound brightness is.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Sep 2008, 9:51 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I don't know what sound brightness is.
The opposite of dullness / muddiness / sounding muffled, maybe.

Maybe you should do what Graham's done and just use any good-quality speaker, hidden out of sight... but with your special Kenwood one just for display?

Nick.
Closed Thread