UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Aug 2008, 5:38 pm   #1
braddersep
Retired Dormant Member

Default Pye PCR2

Hi, I`m new to this forum and have no experience of radio repair or restoration. I have a Pye PCR2. It is in working order but has been adapted to work off AC 230V. Coming out of the front panel is a lead with a 13amp plug fitted. Presumably this would originally have been a short lead to connect to the PSU fitted to the left hand side of the receiver.
It also has an on-off switch fitted on the front plate between the mains lead and the loudspeaker socket. When I got the radio about 30 years ago I was working in a shop in Manchester (I was an electrician before I retired in 2006)and I was working in the attic when I found the radio and it`s speaker up there. I asked the shop manager about it and he said I could have it as it didn`t work anymore. When I checked it out later I found the on-off switch was faulty, so I replaced it and it worked perfectly.(OK so I do have some experience of radio repair, I replaced an on-off switch )
Now for a few questions:
Is it common to find the PCR2`s adapted in this way? Is it worth much? and finally is it worth restoring it in any way
Old 12th Aug 2008, 5:45 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Pye PCR2

The various PCRs are quite common - they were sold off in large numbers in the 50s and 60s, and many people bought them and converted them into basic comms receivers (they were originally a broadcast receiver).

Immaculate ones are quite valuable as they are so rare - most surviving examples have been hacked around as yours has, and they are in the £10-30 price range so not something to retire on.

They're not difficult to restore electrically. A quick recapping is usually all that's needed and they perform well.

Paul
Old 12th Aug 2008, 5:56 pm   #3
braddersep
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Paul, "a quick recapping " is lost on me as I know nothing about radio repair. Are there any good books on the subject?
Eric.
Old 12th Aug 2008, 6:03 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

What Paul means is "change the capacitors". Have a read here, in particular the section on capacitors.

We commonly refer to capacitors as "caps". The old name, still used on occasion by some folk, was "Condensers".
Closed Thread