UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2008, 9:31 am   #21
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Implosion screens

Talking of glass , in a couple of my sets , tv22 etc im sure it say Armoured glass etched onto it ! and as to glass floors ,they must be very thick and I would suspect maybe laminated .
The plastic sheeting used im will be strong enough as long as its not brittle
Old 7th Feb 2008, 9:38 am   #22
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B
Laminated safety glass can be cut, but not a task I'd try myself, too difficult!
My local glazier supplies laminated safety glass (a layer of transparent plasitic between two layers of glass) in any shape or size. It's cut with a hot wire device. Unfortunately it can only be supplied flat.

When used for glazing this glass has to be used with a special sealant, as normal sealant will attack the plastic from the edges and progressively turn it brown.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 7th Feb 2008, 2:29 pm   #23
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

If I were replacing a missing flat glass implosion screen then i would definately go for Laminated , not toughned. Ive not heard about it degrading , but i refuse to use anything except Putty when im doing glazing ...Some of us ..may rememeber early laminated vehicle windows that turned yellow and degraded inside the glass .but i think we are going OT
Old 7th Feb 2008, 3:29 pm   #24
newlite4
Octode

Glass implosion screens are impossible to break. I tried to make a replacement glass for a TV22 from a larger one. I scored the line with my trusty TC cutter, several taps on the line with successively larger hammers failed to break the glass. I gave up after several attempts with a club hammer at full force failed to split the panel.
Neil
Old 7th Feb 2008, 4:46 pm   #25
dominicbeesley
Octode

They are not impossible to break - beleive me! Tap one near the edge with a sharp blade or pointed instrument, especially edge on but make sure you're wearing eye protectors - they don't half go pop.

You're lucky you didn't score right through the toughened layer or it would have gone bang. The skin is basically more "tight" than the inner glass and if the skin is broken on one side there is an unequal force on the other side causing it to tear itself apart, often violently.

It didn't half give me a shock the first time I found this one out - especially as I was up a ladder trying to crowbar a window into a double decker bus! You can hit it all you like face on with a mallet but one tiny crack at the edge and bang.

Back on topic, I notice in the TV24 the edges of the glass are protected from any debris due to it being oversized and the rubber surround - is this true in other sets?

Dom
Old 7th Feb 2008, 6:37 pm   #26
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

what do you mean by oversized?
Old 7th Feb 2008, 8:33 pm   #27
dominicbeesley
Octode

Sorry not very clear, by oversized I meant it is bigger than can be seen from the outside by a fair margin IIRC, the margin behind the wood on one side and the rubber mask on the other.

It also seems quite heavy for its size and thickness...
Old 7th Feb 2008, 8:41 pm   #28
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

On th tv22 i dont think its much bigger than an inch all round ,due to there being no space
Closed Thread