UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2006, 11:20 pm   #1
THE BAKELITEMAN
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Ivalek Crystal Set Aerial Earth info

Evening all !! I'm soon to hopefully get my hands on one of the small Ivalek Bakelite Crystal sets, so just a few simple questions, I intend to earth the set to a central heating pipe and also provide an aerial wire of a suitable length.
1. what length of aerial wire would you use? I suppose the earth length is of less importance?
2. what type of wire would be suitable?

No doubt a simple set of questions for all the experts out there, but I'm no expert !!!, cheers Jools The Bakeliteman

www.bakeliteman.com
Old 11th Jan 2006, 11:34 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Ivalek Crystal Set Aerial Earth info

It's better to use a cold water pipe rather than a central heating pipe for the earth. Bear in mind that new mains water lead-in pipes tend to be polythene, so they are not a very good signal earth connection. An earth spike obtainable from an electrical wholesaler might be better.

Use any wire you can get hold of for the aerial. So long as it can support its own weight it's OK. Use mains wire, bell wire, wire stripped from old transformers, in short anything made of copper you can get hold of. Doesn't matter whether it's stranded or solid, insulated or bare.

Make the aerial as long as possible and erect it as high as possible. Gutter bracket to a tree or post at the top of the garden is fine. You don't need insulators. Use "plastic" string (generally orange) to attach the wire to the supports.

Graham.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 9th Jul 2007 at 10:25 pm. Reason: Grammatical enhancement.
Old 12th Jan 2006, 4:49 am   #3
JHGibson
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ivalek Crystal Set Aerial Earth info

Reception on a crystal set will improve immensely if you resonate the aerial at the received frequency. If the aerial is on the short side, say 80 to 90 feet, then add variable inductance to load it. If the aerial is too long, say 200 feet plus, put a 500pf variable cap in series. These components are best added at the crystal set aerial terminal. Resonating the aerial will add appreciably to the selectivity too.
John.
Closed Thread