UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2009, 12:49 am   #1
ricard
Octode

Default Scandinavian joystick machines

It struck me that the three major Scandinavian consumer tape recorder manufacturers - Norwegian Tandberg, probably most well known, Danish Bang & Olufsen, and Swedish Luxor, don't know how much they sold outside Sweden - in the 1950's and 1960's made machines with joystick control of the basic functions play - wind - rewind. The exact design differs (with Tandberg, you pull the knob towards you for play, with the others, you push it forward, for instance), but still... I think BSR used a joystick for one of their chassis that was used by many other manufacturers but apart from that I can't think of any other ones.

I think Tandberg was first, on the Model 2 from 1956, having gotten the idea from the Brush BK411 (this machine uses a joystick and also the figure-8 belt arrangment familiar to Tandberg enthusiasts), followed by Luxor, and lastly B&O.

The Tandberg joystick is rather chunky, and requires considerable force to move to the play position, which is probably why it is pulled forward for this; you can use your thumb against the front of the machine to avoid dragging the machine towards you.

Luxor's is more dainty, and requires less force, and it does make more sense to push the joystick in the direction of the tape when wanting to put it in play mode.

Finally B&O have a snazy V-shaped groove for the wind modes, and they also managed to design their mechnism with a mechanical autostop function that actually returns the joystick to the stop position.

Some links:

Tandberg 2T, a 1950's machine

http://www.johansoldradios.se/tape-r...s/tandberg-2-t

Early 1960's Luxor MP 233

http://www.johansoldradios.se/tape-r...s/luxor-mp-233

Bang & Olufsen Beocord 2000 from around 1965

http://www.johansoldradios.se/tape-r...d-2000-de-luxe

/Ricard
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 10:40 am   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Scandinavian joystick machines

One B&O definitely used the BSR TD2 deck!
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 5:01 pm   #3
ricard
Octode

Yes, I think that would be the Beocord Belcanto, no?

http://radio.gort.dk/page092.htm

Incidentally, Luxor (mentioned above) also used this deck in a couple of their later and simpler machines.

/Ricard
Old 22nd Feb 2009, 5:25 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The BSR TD2 was used by almost all UK manufacturers for their low end domestic machines in the 1960s. It's actually a good reliable design, but the single speed is a limitation.

Paul
Old 24th Feb 2009, 5:30 pm   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Don't forget the Simon machines - a bit different,but joystick all the same!
Old 24th Feb 2009, 5:38 pm   #6
Studio263
Octode

British "Walter" machines (e.g. the 101) use their own joystick type mechanism, in this case there are 4 points arranged in a cross. Each point is hooked to latch the lever. It looks a bit crude to me.

The B&O joystick control continued until they abandoned open reel, the Beocord 1200 and 1600 are the final models. Although the layout of functions is similar the mechanism beneath is quite different to the earlier sort (2000 D/L, 2400 etc).
Old 24th Feb 2009, 9:15 pm   #7
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've got a Walter. It may be blind prejudice but I remember a friends dad getting a Tanberg to go with his expensive RG in the sixties and being disappointed with it. The [4 way] Joystick idea just seemed inferior somehow by comparison with professional machines I knew about but could not contemplate owning, or even the cheap BSR three point mechanism domestic TR's. It just seemed inferior. If I'd had the money I would have wanted a solid Brennell or Ferrograph. The joystick just seemed out-dated somehow [even if it worked ok] but maybe it was a different perception in Scandanavia? Dave W
Old 5th Mar 2009, 12:42 pm   #8
ricard
Octode

Could be. Especially in those days Scandinavia with its rawhide Vikings stood more for functional robustness than sleek design. Think of the boxy 70s Volvos with no finesse whatever, but strong workhorses (until rust got the better of them).

Remember this was before the demise of the European HiFi industry when B&O decided to go for design in order to survive.

/Ricard
Old 5th Mar 2009, 2:51 pm   #9
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

As a user & trader of the Tandberg range from 1960 until it's demise I found the joystick admirable, far superior to many "key or switch machines " It gave little trouble & you had all the mechanical functions to hand, a simple design very basic but as with simplicity it worked well.

Colin
Closed Thread