UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2016, 11:50 am   #1
BigClick
Hexode

Default GPO AB Coinbox Mech Key

Hi folks,
This is a little success story that might be of interest to the telephony types.

Having tried and failed to source the correct key for the mechanism cover of my AB pre-payment coin box I decided to make one.

I tried and failed to pick the lock because I didn’t have a clue about the lock type or how many levers / pins it had. Now I have seen it I know it is a four-lever mortice lock and I should have used a "curtain pick" (internet research)

The first action was to break into the box in order to remove and dismantle the lock.

By turning the box upside down a 2"x3/8"x3/16” strip of steel can be seen through the cash box. This is what secures a similar steel strip inside the mechanism to secure the bolt.

Slightly raised from the strip are the ends of two 6ba screws, the heads are inside the mechanism.

I applied some force against the strip inside the cash box with a large screwdriver and it did have some movement. So, I made a small groove in the ends of the screws with a tap on a chisel and used a watch screwdriver to turn the screws back through the bar. This worked to a degree but they stopped turning after several revolutions. I decided to drill them out with a 3mm HSS drill and this was very easy.

Once the cover was off I removed the lock and noted that the lock code was 39CB. I could have stopped at this point and tried again to source a key armed with the correct suffix, but I didn’t. I got a blank house key from a key cutting booth for £2 and set about making a key.

I am amazed but it only took about an hour using some needle files I got from Aldi for about a pound.

As well as the four levers there is the section of the key that moves the bolt and a small cut that allows the key to move in the lock but doesn’t allow it to be removed except when in the locked position.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock 39CB 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	121929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock 39CB.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	121930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lock 39CB 03.jpg
Views:	175