UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jan 2012, 8:36 pm   #41
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Re: Hitachi Radio Cassette Player

Scratching head..............all inputs go through the selector switch and on the vol/tone board basically.
Its got to be something to do with the selector switch, have you tried switch cleaning the the micro switch on the end of selector switch this if i rmember is a power switch aswell.
Are there any connectors pulled off from the main pcb to the tone/vol board or going from the tone/vol board, you should at a guess have 3 going in and three coming back to the main pcb ( 1 earth and two for signal left?right in/out)

I am running out of ideas, how are you at using a multi meter? some times these machines had "fusable" resistors in them, these were common in the power supply, they were something like 1 ohm just measure either side and see if there is voltage, they are not always easy to spot except safty ones would have a non flammable white fabric cover.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 8:59 pm   #42
Bensdad
Tetrode

And I scratching my head too , all this since changing drive belts and spraying controls with servisol.
Just re-sprayed selector switch again , something is happening as when the position is changed it causes the needle to deflect on one of the VU meters , and there is a characteristic `click` noise through the speakers.
I do not own a multimeter , but know I can borrow one from work.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 9:04 pm   #43
sp10mk11
Octode

I am sorry Ben(?) i just cannot think of anything else, if it were here i would be measuring voltages etc.........
If you get a meter from work come back and ill see if i can help you with where to go with it
All the best
Gary
Old 29th Jan 2012, 9:22 pm   #44
Bensdad
Tetrode

ok , will resume this tomorrow , one final question , is there any possibility something could have blown ? , how about fusable resistors mentioned earlier ? , are these actually built into the main power supply section where the mains input connects ?
Old 18th Jun 2015, 8:07 pm   #45
Vince134
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Bensdad,
I've just joined up, as I still have a lot of old audio tapes. However, I had one of these Hitachi units around 1980 when I was at College in Glasgow. The cat got up on the window sill where it was sitting, knocked the Hitachi off the window sill and the handle broke off, but it worked OK, and I had it for a very long time. I got it for the cue and review function, but it was one of the best machines I have ever had.

Regarding your problems, I once had similar problems with a different unit, and a friend who knew about such things took it from me and lightly oiled the inside (though I can't remember now which parts). It had stopped working as I had not used it for quite a long time. He said it had simply dried out through lack of use, and his treatment worked perfectly. Maybe someone else can confirm if this was probably true, and advise.
Old 18th Jun 2015, 10:18 pm   #46
Restoration73
Nonode

It is possible the motor bearing was oiled, but generally oil is to be avoided as it tends
to degrade or destroy rubber and plastic parts.
If you have any legacy audio cassettes these should be played on a hi-fi deck as the
tape transport is a bit more gentle than a combi. The first maker to provide program
search was Sharp (APSS) and other makers just copied it. It was also a feature of
the hi-fi decks of the period.
Old 20th Jun 2015, 7:24 pm   #47
Dansette72
Retired Dormant Member

Reading this thread has just reminded me of a Sharp WQCH400 twin tape/radio /cd my mum gave me several weeks ago (she no longer used it and didn't like it as it's quite big!). One of the tape decks was not working, although you could hear a noise.
Turns out it was a snapped belt. I think the unit is about 20 years old. This is a very easy unit to work on and was easily fixed!!!
Old 23rd Jun 2015, 10:06 pm   #48
Vince134
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the comments regarding the Hitachi. I'm actually looking for one of those with the cue and review facility just now, so I can review unmarked cassettes. Panasonic made some that did this. I had one years ago, which was a twin deck "boomer". Anyone got one that works o k?
Closed Thread