UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Mar 2012, 6:55 pm   #21
Rogers-Lodger
Pentode

Default Re: Tonschreiber Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by reel-to-reel-man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers-Lodger View Post
is that an offer ? Mr Reel to Reel man ?
Could be Im in Paignton, Devon, where are you? Also what tonschreiber parts? i do need some
I didnt get the parts I had seen which is a shame. I kept picking up a tape guide/spindle or whatever its called not knowing what it was. I then spotted it on a tonschreiber and when I went back to find it it was gone... Still might be floating about somewhere.... I had also seen some labelled knob surrounds but again couldn't find em yesterday. I'll look again next week.

Im in sussex so not so far if your game ?

Dave
Old 4th Mar 2012, 7:04 pm   #22
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Abrasion is an occupational hazard with many tape types - the German practice of separate hubs and winding plates necessitated a matt surface to ensure an even wind. Some ex-studio tapes sold in the 1960s and and 70s could grind through a domestic head in double-quick time - fortunately, Studers and the like are made of sterner stuff.

The U-boat transmissions had their content encrypted by the naval Enigma, but the mere presence of radio traffic was enough to give the vessel's position away. What made HF/DF so effective was its use of orthogonal aerials and an X-Y CRT display, such that a couple of seconds was enough to get a bearing on the transmission, hence the need for time compression.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 8:26 pm   #23
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reel-to-reel-man View Post
Quote:
is that an offer ? Mr Reel to Reel man ?
Could be Im in Paignton, Devon, where are you? Also what tonschreiber parts? i do need some
I didnt get the parts I had seen which is a shame. I kept picking up a tape guide/spindle or whatever its called not knowing what it was. I then spotted it on a tonschreiber and when I went back to find it it was gone... Still might be floating about somewhere.... I had also seen some labelled knob surrounds but again couldn't find em yesterday. I'll look again next week.

Im in sussex so not so far if your game ?

Dave
If they still have the tonschreiber could you help me purchase it?

-Chris
Old 4th Mar 2012, 8:55 pm   #24
Rogers-Lodger
Pentode

I think you misunderstand. I saw the part on a picture of a tonschreiber
Old 4th Mar 2012, 9:03 pm   #25
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

oh yes i did, well i like parts those always help.
-Chris
Old 5th Mar 2012, 6:21 am   #26
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Send me a PM with your email address and we can take it from there, if you are willing to travel to Paignton or post the tapes that is, very interested to hear of any spares, desperately after the moulded tape deck cable, think mine has broken down inside.

Thank you.
Old 5th Mar 2012, 7:43 am   #27
mrmagnetophon
Retired Dormant Member

Stuart: you can make a new cable for your tonschreiber, they used banana plugs if i remember right, which you can drill and space on a piece of phenolic and put a metal cover over it, if you could mock up the plug i could make you one, and make a cover with my brake.

-Chris
Closed Thread