UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2005, 12:31 am   #1
bryanarmitage
Retired Dormant Member

Question Vortexion WVA4

I have started to restore this recorder that I bought in 1959 for £95. I have two immediate problems; what is the best adhesive for attaching rexine to the (wooden) case?
In the sixties the mains transformer failed and I replaced it with a foreigner beacuse I could not afford Vortexion's price for an original. The chances of finding an original now are very remote but is there a supplier of transformers who might stock one that looks a bit like one?
Old 14th Feb 2005, 8:04 am   #2
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Default Re: Vortexion WVA4

Hello,

I find using wood glue is the best, I have several machines where the covering has come away, gluing it with PVA and supporting a bit of wood over the glue for a few hours (keeping the rexine squashed between the wood and the recorder's case), works real well. The transformer is not an impossibility, I am currently restoring a WVA and the parts are coming off a second WVA I picked up as spares, if your interested in a transformer, let me know.

Old 14th Feb 2005, 11:59 pm   #3
bryanarmitage
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that. I was undecided between PVA and an instant glue. You have possibly saved me several hours work taking the wrong sort off.

I am certainly interested in buying a mains transformer if you have a spare. The circuit diagram tells me that it has has a 275v c.t. secondary and a separate winding for the rectifier in addition to the 6.3V heater winding. I am also missing the voltage selector plug/socket fronm the top centre of the panel and the 6Z30 which I imagine is fairly easy to source.

For your information I spent thirteen years in the RAF as a radio fitter and the last forty years as a computer engineer. I am still learning.

For my information, where on earth do you keep all those recorders?

Bryan
Old 15th Feb 2005, 7:57 am   #4
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Instant glue is thinner than PVA, I found its very difficult to get cloth like material to stick with the stuff, it tends to get absorbed and make a poor bond. PVA is very thick and does the job much better, so long as you have something to keep the rexine in place whilst it dries. I am due to pick up a second WVA this Saturday along with a early Ferrograph, hopefully can find a useful transformer.

Where do I keep them? I have the studio and rare recorders at my house, the domestic are kept in a garage close by and the rest of them in a nuclear bunker.

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/...ove/index.html

http://www.jabedesign.co.uk/vr/gallery.htm

Old 19th Feb 2005, 7:51 pm   #5
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Bad News on the transformer, the one I have I powered up today's, all seemed to work, then came the burning smell I think I might be able to get a transformer from a Ferrograph to work, but now I think we are both looking for a new transformer
Old 20th Feb 2005, 11:16 pm   #6
bryanarmitage
Retired Dormant Member

Shame. My transformer works but leaves no room for the d/diode so long ago I fitted semi conductors. I am now suitably ashamed.
Old 12th Mar 2005, 7:26 pm   #7
garfy
Retired Dormant Member

Red face Re: Vortexion Transformer

Hello,
I have a Transformer for a Vortexion for sale.
If interested drop me a line.
Keith
Old 13th Mar 2005, 12:07 am   #8
bryanarmitage
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Keith, but since my last visit I have managed to get a battered stereo recorder that has two of the transformers I needed. Perhaps reel to reel man is interested in yours. Now if you happen to have a 4 x 7 15 ohm elliptical speaker for sale... my battered box has spent a fair amount of time in a puddle which did the cone a lot of no good. Thanks again for the offer.
Old 13th Mar 2005, 11:29 am   #9
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Hello,

I would be interested in a transformer as I still need one for m early W.V.B machine.

Closed Thread