UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Old 21st Jun 2024, 7:36 pm   #61
Brigham
Octode

Default Re: 1970s style telephones and operation on router

Delighted to say that re-insertion of the capacitor in the bell circuit has produced a good strong ring.
It still doesn't ring properly. The cadence is wrong; I'm still expecting 'lootenant' Columbo to shamble in.
It must be possible to re-set this in the APA's programming; but the BT engineer didn't leave the instructions which came with it. They may be on-line somewhere.
An odd thing about this particular 8746: It ought to be fitted with 2000 ohm ringer coils from the factory. It isn't. It has the old 500 ohm ones.
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2024, 9:03 pm   #62
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

The ADSL filter trick should have worked but no matter. You may be able to reconfigure the ring cadence as long as BT hasn't locked you out out the ATA.

Before going into that, I doubt you can dial out on your rotary dial phones, this was discussed early in this thread before you posted, so maybe you are aware of the issue?

I have no experience of the ATA they gave you but the manual is here
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/doc...-admin-mp.html

and it is very similar to the Sipura/Linksys/Cisco ATAs that I am familiar with.

To change the ringing cadence you will need to see if you can access the Regional settings of the device.

Before you can do that you need to know its IP address on your LAN, one way of doing that is to connect a modern DTMF phone to it and dial * * * * (four stars)
you should get a voice response.
Then 1 1 0 #
and the IP address should be read to you.
Graham G3ZVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2024, 9:31 pm   #63
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham G3ZVT View Post
To change the ringing cadence you will need to see if you can access the Regional settings of the device.

Before you can do that you need to know its IP address on your LAN, one way of doing that is to connect a modern DTMF phone to it and dial * * * * (four stars)
you should get a voice response.
Then 1 1 0 #
and the IP address should be read to you.
Thanks for that useful hack. I tried it successfully on my Grandstream ATA CNet connexion.
Old 22nd Jun 2024, 4:32 pm   #64
Brigham
Octode

"Invalid Password. Please try again".
I'll be offline until Tuesday am. I'll try again then.
Brigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2024, 5:04 pm   #65
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I have realised that I misread 110# as 110*. 110* works, but when I dial 110# the voice says "enter a new option".