UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jun 2008, 11:35 pm   #21
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Harpenden 1st June

Suppose not. Thing is, a radio for £1 can provide an awful lot of bits. Look how much valves cost for example.

The market is obviously flooded and people are poorer, so this extra event may or may not be a success. Who knows?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 8:04 am   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The last special auction, in January last year I think, was a big success. A lot of the nicer and higher value items were sold and went for reasonably good prices. I believe the forthcoming special auction is the same sort of thing.

I should have some photos of some of the items in the special auction and the regular auction as part of the July Wootton Bassett swapmeet on the website in the next couple of days.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 8:34 am   #23
Ian B
Hexode

Re: the skip at Harpenden

There were no radios in it as far as I know. At the beginning of the day it was full level with the sides, items including china tea sets, handbags, and mini fridge were avidly being removed by the event attendees. By the lunchtime the skip was only half full, mostly with empty cardboard boxes!

Ian Blackbourn
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 8:52 am   #24
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Never even went out the back door so didn't see the skip. At least somebody has explained how a couple of china teapots ended up lurking behind the B&B stall. Struck me as unusual items to buy at Harpenden.
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 7:05 pm   #25
Danny
Heptode

Hi i was shocked at the lack of stalls and customers but it did land close to the nvcf and fuel is becomming a problem for most events now. i bought a phillips pattern generator for a fiver . and stocked up on capacitors from the bvws stall. there wasnt any thing in the auction i wanted so i left early. I didnt bother to go for a skip dive as it was full off other bvws members and i didnt think there would be anything left for me.
still had a good day out but i did notice the price of round ekcos has fallen as there was a nice example on a stall for £500 i was almost tempted to make an offer but didnt on the grounds i need to down size my collection although there are a few tvs i would have snapped up if thay were pressent. Danny
Old 3rd Jun 2008, 10:09 pm   #26
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Further to your report on Harpenden Danny, I think there was five round Ekcos [maybe six] at the Tonbridge Audio Jumble this year at "around" that price. Suddenly they all turned up like buses -I was quite shocked!
No red ones though [Oz Bakelite thread]. Attendance seemed down there as well [although it was then reported as up later?] Of course this was before the current oil price issues so perhaps the radio market has peaked as well! I never seem to get to BVWS events it's true but perhaps I should try harder if it will support the organisation [and prices are down]. Car sharing schemes? Perhaps advertising a skip dive could be a crowd puller! Dave W
Closed Thread