UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jul 2019, 4:57 pm   #41
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: VE301W Radio help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontech View Post
The idea being listeners could only select a couple of goebells approved stations and low sensitivity reduced the abilty to hear foreign stations.
That's a long standing myth. There was no receiver like that.
Even a crystal set will get stations far outside Germany at night.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 5:18 pm   #42
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike. Watterson View Post
That's a long standing myth. There was no receiver like that.
Even a crystal set will get stations far outside Germany at night.
Not only that but unlike England where only the wartime civilian receiver was available, in Germany it was always possible to buy good quality radios. Restricting the sensitivity of the VE301 wouldn't have achieved much. Check Radio Museum and search e.g. for Telefunken between 1939 and 1945

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 12th Jul 2019, 7:29 pm   #43
rontech
Heptode

A myth is as good as mile! Thanks for the information though, most interesting.
Old 12th Jul 2019, 10:30 pm   #44
JUSTDAMO
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
I see the wire you mean, but it looks like a component is missing, namely the 5000pF tone correction capacitor. The set will work without it, but may not sound too good.

If you look at my own thread you'll see that I disconnected that component, as it was faulty, and replaced it with a new cap connected across the speaker.

You haven't confirmed that you've resoldered the wires to the speaker.

You haven't confirmed that the voltage selector is set correctly.

Replacing the fuse in the adaptor or fitting a new mains plug with a three amp fuse may get the valves to light up.

I'll warn you again though. If you apply mains to this set in its present state you may destroy it

This isn't an attempt to get business from you. Other forum members will confirm what I say.
Just before I even attempt to restuff the box, you mentioned the your thread regarding valve number 2. I cannot see clearly on the photos what you actually did, Could I just solder a 4700pF cap in between those wires that are disconnected?

Thanks
Old 12th Jul 2019, 10:54 pm   #45
Station X

You need to fit a 4700pF capacitor across the speaker leads either at the valve holder or across the speaker itself. It doesn't matter where.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 10:52 am   #46
Station X

To expand on that. You'll observe that the left hand capacitor has one lead disconnected and sleeved with black sleeving. Were it connected it would go to the yellow sleeved wire. The red and yellow sleeved wires are new ones feeding the speaker.

This is abundantly clear in the picture attached to post #31 in the current thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2207.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	186569  

Old 13th Jul 2019, 8:56 pm   #47
JUSTDAMO
Triode

Hi

Sorry if I am not quite understanding this but can't I just fit the capacitor where the old one used to be? (as indicated on my picture)

Or do I have to unattach the actual speaker wire from the valve and then fit the capacitor onto the speaker wire and then onto the valve fitting from where the speaker wire was attached..... if that makes sense....

Also the 4700pF cap, ebay is the ibky place a I assume I can get them but there are so many variations, which one do I choose??

Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dc.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	186628  
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:09 pm   #48
JUSTDAMO
Triode

sorry if you save my picture and zoom in you should be able to see where i marked it
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:26 pm   #49
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Farnell is good.
Probably any part rated 630V or more. Metalised Polyester or Ceramic. 20% tolerance is fine.
Unless you are familiar with parts & seller, use UK supplier. Some UK eBay sellers are really in China. OK if you have used their stuff and can wait 6 weeks to 10 weeks.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:34 pm   #50
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTDAMO View Post
Hi

Sorry if I am not quite understanding this but can't I just fit the capacitor where the old one used to be? (as indicated on my picture)

Or do I have to unattach the actual speaker wire from the valve and then fit the capacitor onto the speaker wire and then onto the valve fitting from where the speaker wire was attached..... if that makes sense....

Also the 4700pF cap, ebay is the ibky place a I assume I can get them but there are so many variations, which one do I choose??

Many thanks
I believe my answer in posts #45 and #46 along with the drawing in post #31 is perfectly clear. Just connect a new capacitor to the leads of the old one. I cannot say more without repeating myself.

Perhaps another forum member with better powers of expression than myself can help you?

There's no point in buying just a 4700pF capacitor. You need new capacitors for the capacitor box as well.

Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:39 pm   #51
ms660
Dekatron

The component placements are shown in the under chassis drawing in here:

https://radio-bastler.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=7765

The capacitor in question is the one to the left of the res164 valve socket, it's marked as 5000 cm which is an old style value and lingo, a new 4,700pF (aka 4.7nF, 4n7 or 0.0047uF) should be connected where it's connected, the two wires with an "L" beside them that go up through the round hole in the chassis are the two loudspeaker wires, if it's easier the capacitor wire shown connected part way along one of the loudspeaker wires can be connected to the tag on the capacitor block that that loudspeaker wire is connected to, use a capacitor that's rated at 600 or 1,000 volts DC.

EDIT: Crossed with Grahams post.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 13th Jul 2019 at 9:46 pm. Reason: correction
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:45 pm   #52
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
The component placements are shown in the under chassis drawing in here:

https://radio-bastler.de/forum/showthread.php?tid=7765

Lawrence.
That's the same drawing as in post #31 posted by the OP himself. IMHO nothing could be clearer.

Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:50 pm   #53
ms660
Dekatron

I agree, the OP might be worried if things get wrong by being a bit unsure, enough info for the OP now though.

Lawrence.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 9:56 pm   #54
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Probably needs about ten capacitors? Though I only see nine with a quick look. I doubt any are any good.
Old 14th Jul 2019, 1:58 pm   #55
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

They will be well u/s. No doubt.
Old 15th Jul 2019, 10:41 pm   #56
JUSTDAMO
Triode

Well the problem is turning those metal lugs to enable the box to be free..... not sure im going be able to do that.

another worry is somehow measuring the remaining capacitors for any issues, a simple multi meter is probably not going to cut the mustard.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 10:11 am   #57
Station X

In this thread I describe how to remove the capacitor box without the need to unsolder anything.

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=149451

If you not able to make the simple tools required, or get someone to make them for you, you'll have to unsolder the mains transformer and the RF coils so that you can use ordinary pliers on the lugs.

Old 16th Jul 2019, 10:43 am   #58
1100 man
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
In this thread I describe how to remove the capacitor box without the need to unsolder anything.
Graham's method of removing the box is very ingenious and deserves top marks! It never occurred to me to do that, so when I did mine, I unsoldered all the wires to the big coil and removed the mains transformer. The twist lugs are pretty stiff and require a stout pair of pliers to turn.

See the thread about my one here: http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/s...d.php?t=147880

The only way to test capacitors properly is to apply a voltage near to that at which they operate and measure the leakage current with a sensitive meter.
If they pass that test, you can then measure the actual capacitance with a capacity meter.

Much to my surprise, all 5 capacitors in my block tested perfectly for leakage & capacity at their working voltage, so I didn't need to re-stuff it. However, the other four smaller value black ones were very leaky.

There is probably little point in trying to test the caps anyway- you need to be confident of working with high voltages safely and they will undoubtedly need replacing anyway.

One other point to note about seeing the valves glowing. The rectifier valve (RGN354) is a directly heated type and even in the dark, there is no glow from the filament when it's working. The RF valve (REN904) has a metallic shield coating and it's very difficult to see any glow. Mine doesn't have a RES164, but I suspect, being directly heated, it also won't glow.

I would suggest this is probably not an ideal set for a first restoration- something from the '50's would be a better starting point. Good luck with it anyway.

All the best
Nick
Old 16th Jul 2019, 11:42 am   #59
JUSTDAMO
Triode

I did read your thread, many times, but these tools are not that easy for everyone to make. I am still debating your other option, like I said I was worried about the remaining capacitors and their readings.
Old 16th Jul 2019, 12:19 pm   #60
Station X

The easiest thing to do would be to replace all the capacitors. Not a method of repair I adopt, but probably the best option for you.

Closed Thread