UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Apr 2018, 11:44 pm   #1
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default DAC90, but which model?

I know this answer to this is going to be more a matter of opinion than definitive.

Attached is a top corner of a photograph that has recently come into my possession. It shows a radio from my childhood which I know for sure is a DAC90, but I have always wondered if it was the later "A" model or not.

Probably an impossible task, but I know you will do your best.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dac.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	160980  
Old 12th Apr 2018, 6:48 am   #2
thermionic
Heptode

Default Re: DAC90, but which model?

Its might not be a DAC. Difficult to see from the picture. Looks more like a Roberts set, such as the RMB Model.

There was also another make of Radio in this style, but the manufacturer escapes me at the moment.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 7:57 am   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

In my opinion it is definitely a DAC90, but given the subtleties between mk1 and mk2 models, I'd be surprised if anyone can identity it further. It's not a white one..
Old 12th Apr 2018, 10:19 am   #4
Tractionist
Heptode

The date of the photo would offer a more definite clue i.e. given the known launch date of the 90A. The largish 'smudge' on the lower RHS would indicate a circular tuning knob as opposed to a blade wave-change switch ...... and if correct would make it a 90.

That said - detail of the tuning scale is impossible to detect and [as others have said] .... it may not be a 90/90A at all!!
Old 12th Apr 2018, 12:20 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Thanks for the replies so far. I remember this set, in the flesh, there is no doubt it was a DAC90, one or the other. I also roughly know the year of the photo, but I am withholding that for now so as not to influence you, save to say that both models were around.

I uploaded that fragment of a much larger image because of the way that vBulitin compresses images, but I probably introduced more jpeg artifacts doing so

Here is the unadulterated image

https://www.***********/gp/g3zvt/2jmS2S

The photographer did us a favour by including that all-important right-hand side, which is more than some photos offering them for sale do!

Assuming the set was in that location from new, it was a clean smoke free room, and I wondered about the lack of reflection from the speaker grille or cloth.

For record, I have formed an opinion based on what I think I can see on the right side of the set.
Old 12th Apr 2018, 11:41 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

It's very indistinct!

The loudspeaker grille looks flattish (cloth stretched taut) rather than domed (expanded metal) and I think I see a witness of a large knob on the right. Both of these are features of the 90.

What's the reason for wanting to know?
Old 13th Apr 2018, 12:27 am   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
What's the reason for wanting to know?
I was a pupil at that (boarding) school and we listened to that set every day.
Because of that, I wold like to buy and restore restore my own specimen some day, and it's somehow imperative to get the right model.

A bit OCD? Yes probably.

Then, a couple of days ago someone sent me that image.
I think it was taken in 59/60, my time there was 61/62
Old 13th Apr 2018, 2:07 am   #8
marconi_pete
Hexode

I don't think its OCD at all. I'd definitely go along with the set in the picture being a Dac90. Although the set in the image is grainy, it does look as though it has a slight bulge on the right hand side of the radio cabinet half way up which could be the tuning knob. The speaker grille also appears to be flat and not domed like you would see on later dac90a sets. the dac90 sets are nice octal sets and perform well once recapped.

Thanks,
Peter
Closed Thread