UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2007, 12:49 am   #21
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Who is going to Manchester on Saturday?

What about people who have a Bungaow, Garage, Shed....and still have to rent a storage unit...?

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 21st Jan 2007, 9:07 am   #22
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I've just managed to drag myself away from Gerry Wells' "Obsession" that was given to me on the BVWS stall - a fascinating read.

Steve and Jay
I should have hung on a bit longer. Sorry I missed you. I spotted the (3v29s?) there - they were not my favourite machines, unfortunately.

I agree Sunday would be better for most, as some people have to work on Saturdays. One thing that always does put me off at all such events, radio and otherwise, is that some stallholders do not price items.
Rightly or wrongly, I assume that the price is determined by how affluent the punter looks.

Dom
All houses are too small - trust me.
Old 21st Jan 2007, 12:30 pm   #23
stevekendal
Heptode

Nice little fair. Only managed to meet/identify Dave Marshman and only spent £2.50 on a couple of mags so my carer was well pleased when I took her to nearby Trafford Centre afterwards. Will try to support any more events up here in the future. Steve.
Old 21st Jan 2007, 1:28 pm   #24
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

It sounds as though a good time was had by those attending. I am really sorry to have missed it and I will certainly attend a future event.

Unfortunately we are about to be overwhelmed by builders so I'm frantically shifting the contents of the garage before they knock it down to make room for the new extension.

I mustn't complain though as it will give me a purpose built centrally heated workshop attached to the house. There will still be a need for off site storage I suspect!

Regards,
Old 21st Jan 2007, 2:52 pm   #25
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It sounds like there was a good gathering of people there.

I'm a bit concerned that so many managed to avoid spending any money though. If the stallholders didn't have a successful day they would be less likely to attend the next one.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 21st Jan 2007, 3:52 pm   #26
stevekendal
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
It sounds like there was a good gathering of people there.

I'm a bit concerned that so many managed to avoid spending any money though. If the stallholders didn't have a successful day they would be less likely to attend the next one.

Afraid in my case it was mainly due to the old coffers being empty following Christmas. Also, by the time we got there (about 2.30), there wasnt an awful lot of interest left, but we still enjoyed it though. Will try to be earlier next time. Steve.
Old 21st Jan 2007, 5:40 pm   #27
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Sundays are better than Saturdays though.

Cheers,

Steve P and Dilys
Sorry to be a dissenting voice, but I much prefer Saturdays. I also suspect that, being a church hall, Sunday might be a little difficult.

As already stated, it might have been busier - and I gather needs to be to cover its costs.

I didn't buy much - a couple of books and some terminal screws which may be suitable for my reproduction no. 12 batteries, but had a good time chatting with people and attempting John Marshman's daunting vintage radio quiz - congratulations to Steve P. on winning it.

I look forward to a repeat later in the year and hope to be there - though other engagements may prevent me if it were to move to a Sunday.
Old 21st Jan 2007, 5:49 pm   #28
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
If the stallholders didn't have a successful day they would be less likely to attend the next one.
There were some items that I was cogitating whether to buy (being a little over my budget), but the reason I didn't buy them in the end was because they had been bought by other people before I left. So, hopefully those stallholders did manage to make their trips worthwhile.
Old 21st Jan 2007, 6:20 pm   #29
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I do hope so, and hope the lack of spending by those who posted here is not representative of all who attended.

Paul Stenning
Old 23rd Jan 2007, 12:30 am   #30
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

Text of letter submitted for next Bulletin...

Thanks go to all who attended the Manchester event on Jan 20th, and in particular to yourself and to Francis Norris for enthusiastic support !. My plan was to invite the public by mixing up the swapmeet with a record fair, rather than holding a closed BVWS event, but the cost of liability insurance and advertising resulted in a loss of more than several tenners !. This however was more than offset by the pleasure of meeting those members who attended and noting that two new members took the pledge. The cost of the church hall venue was a mere £120 – very reasonable considering the easy (ramped) access and well-provided kitchen (thanks there to Janet for rescuing the pie and peas initiative !).

If the event is to take place again in early September (most likely as a closed event to allow for break even and minimal subsidy) I would like to appeal to members north of the Mason-Dixon line to contact me with expressions of interest, be they organised vendors of sets and components, browsers, or those intending to bring a bootfull of junk [we were wellshort on junk].As long as two dozen can thus be counted on to hand over a crisp fiver on the door then the cost is largely covered, and plans may proceed.

Ideas to enliven the event currently centre on a “home-made” theme – ie: competitions for improvised radios, hi-fi amplifiers, standards converters [ i could enter mine - poss the world's worst] , and other novelties. An absorbing lecture would appeal to me, if anyone’s willing to face a pedantic audience !. An auction is possible, but have not the expertise to organise this myself. Critically, I need a concensus on whether Saturdays or Sundays are preferred – the affordable venue favours the former but I can always cast about – so please let me know.

However, should someone else fancy a crack at some other venue or form of event I’ll be happy to defer and lend a hand [eg: Jay mentioned Oldham]. In all events, I’m confident that a modest venue can still provide members with a swapmeet to enjoy

PS: Congrats go to “victor ludorum” Steve Pendlebury for winning the quiz [hence the radio as a prize] a copy of which is enclosed should you wish to include it in your organ. It was generally considered a swine, much to my gratification, though it raises concerns over the attention span of the membership !.
[PPS: Got the vicar in trouble with the council cos I posted adverts on loads of traffic light poles ! That's another 10 yrs in purgatory for me.....]
Old 23rd Jan 2007, 9:34 am   #31
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

John
I seem to have missed you somehow.

Count me in for the September event. IMHO, it would be good if there were more "junk" stalls; fully restored items have little appeal for me, but that is just me - others will have different tastes.

I thought that some of the items were a tad pricey as well; I might have been tempted by a couple otherwise. Again, just my opinion. As far as the stallholders were concerned, it must be a problem if they have to take things home again.

For those (not me) collecting records there was a stall with quite a good selection, likewise (mainly TV) valves.

Hope the event continues; as a "first" it was excellent.

PS: I prefer Sundays, but only "slightly" - assume I am neutral on that count.
Old 23rd Jan 2007, 3:51 pm   #32
Dave Moll
Dekatron

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I am certainly game for an event in September (other commitments permitting).

Now that I am familiar with the format, I would hope to contribute to the availability of "junk", not least because I have a number of items acquired as job lots in the local auction for the sake of particular items within them. I need to clear some space here.

I wonder whether a poll on the Saturday/Sunday question might be useful. Incidentally, the title of this thread is no longer ideal.
Old 23rd Jan 2007, 6:18 pm   #33
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Manchester Swapmeet Saturday 20th Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I wonder whether a poll on the Saturday/Sunday question might be useful. Incidentally, the title of this thread is no longer ideal.
Hopefully that's better now.

Paul Stenning
Old 23rd Jan 2007, 6:36 pm   #34
John M0GLN
Octode

I enjoyed the event as well, although I must confess to be one of the non-buyers on this occasion, I'll certainly be at next one and might even dig some stuff out to put on a stall, also it was nice to see some faces from the forum.

Best Wishes

John
Old 24th Jan 2007, 12:03 am   #35
johnmarshmanagain
Pentode

Agree poll a good wheeze - how can it be fixed up ? The choice would appear to be Saturday 1st or Sunday 2nd of Setember. Ta J
Old 24th Jan 2007, 12:23 am   #36
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Start a new thread with the poll. Have three choices, the two dates and a "don't care".

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread