UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 27th Oct 2023, 10:19 am   #1
deadwax
Triode

Default Temporary crackle after head clean - Grundig TK14

Hi all, I recently bought my first reel to reel player and after enjoying playing many tapes in the course of a couple of weeks I decided to give the heads etc a clean (head cleaner/cottonbuds) and also de-magnetise as I was unaware of the condition when I bought it other than it was 'all working'. Immediately after cleaning and reassembly the first tape played was coupled with a low level crackle from the speaker. This continued for 2-3 minutes then all was well. I played a few tapes since and it's been fine. I'm just wondering if this crackle can be explained? I've never dabbled with electronics before although I am mechanically handy.
deadwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2023, 12:19 pm   #2
Analogue man
Hexode

Default Re: Temporary crackle after head clean - Grundig TK14

Possibly static electricity discharging from the tape it may even have done it if you hadn't cleaned and degaussed the heads.
Old 27th Oct 2023, 1:28 pm   #3
Simon Gittins
Heptode

It might be worth trying the first tape again in case it's a recorded crackle.
Simon Gittins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2023, 1:55 pm   #4
deadwax
Triode

Thanks for replies Simon/Graham. The tape that crackled was one I'd played the day before without issue so theoretically the only thing that changed was the player itself. I've being playing tapes today (working from home) and had no repeat of the crackle. I just wondered if it's something that happens if there is any cleaning fluid residue on the heads etc although I tried to be diligent.
deadwax is offline   Reply With Quote