UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Old 22nd Oct 2023, 9:07 am   #1
Manuel198
Diode

Default Teac a-3440

Hello everyone,
I've registered to the forum as it seems a very good source of information regarding tapes.

I'd love to know more and more about tapes and maybe someone can help with a problem I have with my TEAC A-3440.

As a musician/mixing engineer/sound designer, I use tape mostly for experimenting with saturation.

I haven't used the TAC A-3440 for a while, yesterday I decided to switch it on again, re-align it (as I've recently changed converters), and experiment with it passing through some mix and some samples I'm working on.

Generally speaking, I was very pleased with the saturation, and the noise-to-signal ratio. But I've noticed something I've never noticed before, a crackle on the low end, around 100 Hz. This happens on all 4 channels.

Anyone has any clue, something I might have done wrong? Anything I can look into to see if it improves?

Thanks a lot to anyone who can spend a bit of his/her time helping.
Manuel
Manuel198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2023, 9:46 am   #2
theredhouseinn
Hexode

Default Re: Teac a-3440

Hi Manuel.
Sounds like a power supply problem to me.
This model also sufferer's from an aging problem with faulty soldered joints on the pcb's.
Only a service engineer can fix this for you.
John.
theredhouseinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2023, 9:56 am   #3
Manuel198
Diode

Hi theredhouseinn,
thanks for your quick reply, it's very appreciated.
At least I have a starting point.

Manuel
Manuel198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2023, 12:29 pm   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel198 View Post

...Generally speaking, I was very pleased with the saturation, and the noise-to-signal ratio. But I've noticed something I've never noticed before, a crackle on the low end, around 100 Hz. This happens on all 4 channels...
Hi Manuel, the 3440 was good with the tapes of its day but may struggle to saturate the later "+9" types. What sort of tape are you using?

But I can't be sure what would be the cause of the crackle. A sample audio file of the problem might give a better clue. Unfortunately audio files cant be uploaded directly to this forum but perhaps you could upload to another site and provide a link to it here.

Tim
TIMTAPE is offline   Reply With Quote