UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 10th Feb 2019, 11:52 pm   #221
InsertNameHere
Heptode

Default Re: CRT is brighter to one side [Hitachi CTP213]

Okay, thank you, I think I may have some photos, but I'll check, and i'll take some more up close shots, to help - though that will probably have to be tomorrow.

The slant is only a small angle, but as I've said, it's noticeable, though I can live with it if need be.

Thanks
InsertNameHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2019, 1:11 am   #222
Lloyd 1985
Octode

A fix that doesn’t involve taking the back off the set: put some bits of cardboard under one end of the cabinet, repeat until picture is level!!

Only joking, personally I’d leave it alone, as the set is working well now, and you can cause convergence errors by messing the scan coils/ yoke about, I know wonky pictures can be annoying though! I’ve twiddled many yokes to try and level a picture.

Regards
Lloyd
Lloyd 1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Feb 2019, 1:43 am   #223
InsertNameHere
Heptode

I’m glad you were joking as it’d be just my luck i’d lift one side of the set up to wedge some cardboard underneath and the set would slide off the cabinet onto the floor. (Im only joking, too)

I don’t want to mess the set up again, but i am slightly OCD so the wonky-ness does annoy me quite a bit. Wouldn’t it be okay though if i were to mark the pots and then adjust the yoke as the set is self convergence as it’s a PIL set.

If theres a chance of really messing it up then i can live with the angle, but i’d much rather straighten it out.

Thanks
Old 15th Feb 2019, 12:13 pm   #224
Station X

39 posts moved to a new thread here:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=154067

Keep the soldering iron hot.
Station X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2019, 10:01 am   #225
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Leave it alone! It's great. John.
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2019, 3:05 pm   #226
InsertNameHere
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I will do, and have done!

I was just thinking, it wouldnt have really been a problem in the 70s as TV was broadcast in 4:3, and when the TV does show a full screen picture, you wouldn’t notice the wonkiness, along comes 16:9 and you get black bars at the top and bottom - thats when you see it!

Thanks
Old 16th Feb 2019, 8:17 pm   #227
rambo1152
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsertNameHere View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatercathodeshort View Post
I will do, and have done!

I was just thinking, it wouldnt have really been a problem in the 70s as TV was broadcast in 4:3, and when the TV does show a full screen picture, you wouldn’t notice the wonkiness, along comes 16:9 and you get black bars at the top and bottom - thats when you see it!

Thanks
Don't forget that before the advent of 24 hour TV, the test-card would be shown on one or more channels for much of the day, and some of our customers seemed to have nothing better to do than watch for the slightest imperfections.
rambo1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2019, 8:28 pm   #228
InsertNameHere
Heptode

Never gave that a thought, though when watching TV, you usually forget about the imperfections - I do anyway

Thanks
Old 17th Feb 2019, 10:39 am   #229
Sideband
Dekatron

Dare I mention....some TV's had a 'service mode' and within that menu was an adjustment for 'tilt'....thinking Philips TV's here but Hitachi and others did a similar thing. IF a service mode is available on your set it will either be shorting two particular 'service pins' together or accessible via a service remote or by pressing a certain sequence of buttons.

The method of access would only be given in the service manual. Note also that 'tilt' adjustment was not always possible in service mode.....it depends on the model and how 'upmarket' it was. If such a service mode is available, extreme caution must be used since incorrect adjustments may be detrimental of even damaging.
Old 17th Feb 2019, 12:55 pm   #230
rambo1152
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
Dare I mention....some TV's had a 'service mode' a
Yes, but Aaron's set is too early for that.

Also I don't think it was impossible not do to do damage using service mode with those sets those sets had it, I can't think of an example with a TV, but I had a Canon camcorder where entering the service mode was done purely from the remote control, and it was possible to make the on-screen display go blank and effectively lock you out. I was careful not to store the result, but it occurred to me a person with nefarious intent, could have easily bricked the Canon camcorders in Currys window, without even leaving their car.
rambo1152 is offline   Reply With Quote