UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Apr 2021, 7:30 pm   #1
kellymarie
Pentode

Default Mediumwave mystery

I'm a keen mediumwave DXer and recently heard a station calling itself Radio Farda which apparently is the Persian word for tomorrow, anyhow I can find no details of this station. It's on 1521 kilocycles a frequency normally dominated by a station in Arabia I reckon it must be a very high power transmitter as it faded in before Arabia was audible any thoughts on where it might be coming from? And its power if known?
Old 30th Apr 2021, 10:19 pm   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Mediumwave mystery

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Farda
Old 1st May 2021, 6:18 pm   #3
Maarten
Dekatron

Ah, radio free Europe in Prague. When I visited Prague in 2002, at least one of the major roads adjacent to their building was permanently closed with soldiers stationed at the barricades. I haven't looked up the physical locations of their transmitters.
Old 1st May 2021, 8:55 pm   #4
Jolly 7
Octode

Right now I can hear Saudi Arabia on 1521 kHz and also Radio Panj from Coventry on the same frequency. Both are weak signals and fading out frequently.

Last edited by Jolly 7; 1st May 2021 at 8:55 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 1st May 2021, 9:45 pm   #5
kellymarie
Pentode

I think that radio farda mite have left the frequency I haven't been up the shack at nite for about a week to check just because I'm not feeling so good. The saudi transmitter is seriously high power according to the WRTH its 2000 Kilowatts
Old 3rd May 2021, 11:46 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Ah, radio free Europe in Prague. When I visited Prague in 2002, at least one of the major roads adjacent to their building was permanently closed with soldiers stationed at the barricades. I haven't looked up the physical locations of their transmitters.
As a youngster in the summer of 1968 I took my one-valve HAC type radio on holiday on a cabin cruiser on the Norfolk Broads (canals).

I heard the ultimate European pirate stations signing "Radio Free Prague, the legitimate voice of occupied Czechoslovakia". This was on shortwave, I can't remember if the MW outlets were similarly taken over by the Dubček supporters.
Old 4th May 2021, 5:14 pm   #7
davew
Tetrode

MW DXing sounds interesting - Does this have much of a following?
Something I might try - I use to enjoy SW listening many years ago so it would be good to get back into DXing again

Kellymarie,

What sort of receiver/aerial are you using?

Thanks

Dave
Old 4th May 2021, 5:47 pm   #8
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I heard quite a lot of broadcasts from""Radio Free Prague". It was on the air (on shortwave only) most of the day and night while it lasted.
I later read that those involved if found out, were very severely punished .
I still have some of the programmimng preserved on a reel to reel tape.
A fair signal in central U.K.., but still a good "catch" for a one-valver! Tony
Old 4th May 2021, 7:42 pm   #9
kellymarie
Pentode

davew Hi mediumwave DXing is a fascinating hobby for sure it's very different now to how it was when I started back in the early 1980s Germany Belgium Netherlands Austria all gone from the medium wavebands which is sad but it does open up the band to more exotic stations. It's different for sure the equipment I use is an FT817 HF transceiver which has a general coverage receiver the aerial is a 60 foot wire and an 8 foot earth stake in the ground near an old soakaway. I'm lucky that I have a relatively low noise level here. Finally I was only 1 years old when the Russians invaded Czechoslovakia but I've heard recordings of the broadcasts and even though I don't speak Czech or Slovak the emotion in the announcer's voices is obvious.
Old 4th May 2021, 8:21 pm   #10
Jolly 7
Octode

In relation to European MW DXing, there is a 1 KW station called Hindustani Vahon Radio from the Netherlands that's still on the air. It's on 1566 kHz. Lately reception has been good in my location, provided I am not plagued by occasional neighbourhood RF interference. There's also Bretagne 5 on 1593 kHz, which is France's only surviving MW station. Further away, there's Radio Murski Val from Slovenia which can at times be the only audible station on 648 kHz, with no sign of Radio Caroline. And of course there are stronger stations from Hungary and the Czech Republic too.
Old 4th May 2021, 11:01 pm   #11
kellymarie
Pentode

There are lots of Dutch stations mostly only running around 100 watts unfortunately I've never heard any of them but yes you're right there are plenty if Romanian and Hungarian stations on and I'm sure you've noticed that virtually every frequency has a Spanish station or 3 on it. Incidentally Radio Monte Carlo on 1467 kilocycles is also broadcast from France.
Closed Thread