UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2020, 8:40 pm   #1
Ricardo
Pentode

Default AVO VCM MKIV Capacitor Questions

I am just starting to check out my AVO MK4 VCM and have some questions about the wiring and circuit identification numbers for the two 8uF capacitors.

There is one 8uF capacitor which has clearly been replaced with a modern one mounted within the circuit selector switch assembly which is connected across the meter. The component table for the circuit selector switch in the AVO service manual identifies this capacitor as C1, but on the circuit diagram it is shown as C3? I am happy that this capacitor is connected correctly, just slightly confused by the identification number differences.

I am more concerned about the other capacitor in the diode test circuit however. In my VCM MK4 it is mounted with a clip and a rubber strap onto the board behind the meter. It is a polarised electrolytic and appears to be connected in reverse according to the circuit diagram. It is an old Hunt electrolytic capacitor and has red and black wires connected to its positive and negative terminals respectively. The red wire in particular does not look to be original. The negative side of this capacitor, black wire, is connected to R37 (nominally 500R) and the red wire goes to the relevant wiper connection on the electrode selector switch.

I would be grateful if someone with an AVO VCM can tell me where the capacitor identified as C1 on the circuit diagram is fitted in their unit and how it is wired (what wire colours are used, given that it may originally have been a non-polarised capacitor), etc.
Old 15th Apr 2020, 8:17 pm   #2
Ricardo
Pentode

Default Re: AVO VCM MKIV Capacitor Questions

Here is a photo which shows the capacitor which I believe is connected with the reverse polarity to the way in which it is shown on the circuit diagram in the service manual.

I could simply reverse the wires at their destinations. However that would then result in the red (positive) wire from this capacitor joining R37 together with an existing black wire at the switch which seems a bit odd.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2355b.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	203071  
Old 15th Apr 2020, 9:09 pm   #3
Dekatron
Octode

I checked one of my Mk IVs and found that the negative connection on C1 goes to the Electrode Selector and that the positive electrode on C1 goes to the Meter Switch, see the photos I've included.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_9593-C1-positive_Meter-Switch.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	203073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_9593-C1-positive_Meter-Switch-CUTOUT.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	203074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_9592-C1-negative_Electrode-Selector.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	203075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_9592-C1-negative_Electrode-Selector-CUTOUT.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	203076  

Last edited by Dekatron; 15th Apr 2020 at 9:10 pm. Reason: Forgot Photos...... :)
Old 16th Apr 2020, 9:14 pm   #4
Ricardo
Pentode

Thanks Martin,

Your photos have confirmed my suspicions that C1 in my unit is wired in reverse.

When mentioning R37 in my previous post I should have said that the wiring first goes via a connection on the Meter switch.

I have tried to take photos of the same points on my Mk IV using a USB snake camera. They are nowhere as clear as yours, but should be good enough to see by the wire colours that the connections from C1 are reversed.

Regards,

Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	C1 wire to Electrode Selector Switch.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	203141   Click image for larger version

Name:	C1 wire to Meter Switch.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	203142   Click image for larger version