UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2019, 3:47 pm   #1
davemorris
Triode

Default Vidor Lady Margaret lid switch

I have a Lady Margaret that I am trying to repair and I have been told that the most common fault is the lid on and off switch.
Can someone explain to me how this works and where to locate that switch in the radio.

I have bought new batteries for it and have tried it but nothing came on so I am trying the obvious first hence the on off switch.
Any elp will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 6th Apr 2019, 4:05 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Vidor Lady Margaret lid switch

The battery switch is on the inside of the case, the green,black,blue wires are connected to it in this photo:

https://www.***********/photos/12064036@N04/15463622098

Lawrence.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 4:06 pm   #3
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

it normally is pretty clear,as it sticks up at the back of the set with several wires going to it.There may be a circuit available at the top right of the forum page.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 6:51 pm   #4
Station X

Circuit available here:-

https://www.service-data.com/product...25/8462/t16525

I assume that when the OP speaks of new batteries he means PP3' in series an D cels in parallel?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 9:42 pm   #5
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemorris View Post
I have a Lady Margaret that I am trying to repair and I have been told that the most common fault is the lid on and off switch.
No, I've never had a faulty switch. I've done a lot of 1950s Vidor sets, the battery only models are all very similar and not much different to the Ever Ready or Pye.
The most common fault is open circuit primary on the output transformer. ALL battery valve sets. It's "burnt out" (no visible damage) due to leaky paper cap from the DAF91 or DAF96 (or US equivalents) Anode to the output valve grid. Often one of the two filaments in a DL96 will be gone too, resulting in low gain and volume.
See the Pye thread

Sometimes the switch needs cleaned.

Note the -LT and -HT are separated by a resistor so as to give a -ve bias for the DL96 grid via grid resistor.

Another common fault with these is that the HT electrolytic dries out and the set motor boats when volume turned up.
I leave the two large paper caps in place and cut wires under the chassis and mount small ceramic caps (the modern 50V ones are fine to well over 100V) to closest earth point. I think there might be about six caps to replace. Only the DAF96 to DL96 audio feed cap needs removed. The rest can be snipped at "live" end and left in place.
Old 7th Apr 2019, 9:36 am   #6
Geoff 555
Heptode

Hello, had an Ever Ready Sky Countess with a switch that had quite small contacts and springs that had gone lazy, tried cleaning and tweeking but was only a short time fix. Cured by using 2 micro switches ( 1 HT, 1 LT.) mounted together on a small alloy bracket operated by a rod that went through the original hole for the switch.
Cured for a long time.
Cheers.
Geoff.
Closed Thread