UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Mar 2019, 11:53 pm   #1
ColinK!
Triode

Default Unknown Radio. Etronic?

Just wondering if somebody can help me out. I've just recently been given this very tatty looking radio which I'm trying to identify. I'm assuming it to be an Etronic, but is it a RA640? The style of it is similar, so I'm wondering if its an early model.

There is no sign of there ever being a Etronic logo on the tuning glass. Also there is no sign of a tuning eye ever having been fitting. Its obviously had a rebuild at some point during its life as there is the remains of the original speaker cloth inside, which looks to be of the same style as the RA640.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190326_165231794_iOS.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	180493   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190326_164924859_iOS.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	180494  
Old 27th Mar 2019, 12:29 am   #2
electrogram
Heptode

Default Re: Unknown Radio.

Etronic ? Edit, I didn't read your post, just looked at the pic, you already say etronic! I have what I think is the same one but in a Bakelite case, no magic eye but it does have the Etronic logo on the dial.

Last edited by electrogram; 27th Mar 2019 at 12:39 am. Reason: Missed a bit
Old 27th Mar 2019, 3:37 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Its a left handed set, manufactured by Etronic for sure but possible as an own label set for another retailer. The hole on the right of the front could of been for a retailer's badge.
There are surprisingly few left hand sets.
Price cut by omitting the tuning eye. 6V6G output and 6X5G rectifier? Dates it as early '50s? 6K8G frequency changer?

Last edited by Boater Sam; 27th Mar 2019 at 3:41 am. Reason: added
Old 27th Mar 2019, 7:20 am   #4
electronicskip
Nonode

Looks very much like an RA640 to me except the knobs are a different colour and the speaker grille cover looks slightly different , but of course cosmetic changes did happen in a production run of most models according to taste and availability.
Old 27th Mar 2019, 8:08 am   #5
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Very similar to the RA640 but the cabinet front is much plainer and the absence of a tuning eye and the Etronic logo on the glass are untypical of the model.
Strangely the expanded speaker grill is typical of other models made by Hale & Co but the RA640 should have a fabric, as indeed the OP says there are remains of inside.
Old 27th Mar 2019, 11:15 pm   #6
ColinK!
Triode

Default Re: Unknown Radio. Etronic?

Many thanks for all your comments about this set. Just looking at the set and found some odd numbered valves from the RA640 diagram I've found on the net. The Freq' changer, V1, has been changed for an ECH35, this looks as if it's had a hard life as the red coating is burnt off, of one side of it. V2, has been changed to a CV1941 and the rectifier has been changed to a CV572. Not spending too much time on the set at the moment as I have another project on the go at present, a Murphy TA160 !

Cheers for the help.
Closed Thread