UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2006, 11:10 pm   #1
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Question Widescreen 405 ?

Hi People,

This may be an amazingly stupid question but, if i buy an Aurora converter (or any other for that matter) and feed it video from a DVD player for instance, and the film is in the wide screen format, what will i see on my Bush TV12AM?
Will the picture be truncated like the old wide screen films shown on non wide screen tv's or will i get a letterbox version of the picture (on a 9" screen - excellant !!).
Interested to know,
Cheers Alan.
Old 25th May 2006, 11:44 pm   #2
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Widescreen 405 ?

Hi Alan,

You'd get whatever you've set the DVD player up for, basically. The DVD player should be set up for a 4:3 TV set, then you should be able to select between 4:3 "pan and scan" mode or 16:9 "letterbox" depending on what the DVD itself and the player allow. Some DVDs don't have the option of 4:3 "pan and scan"; but some DVD players may allow the centre 4:3 section of the image to be zoomed to full-screen . Of course with no panning information you might miss some action off-screen.

Regards, Kat
Old 26th May 2006, 8:58 am   #3
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Thumbs up Re: Widescreen 405 ?

Thanks for clearing that up Kat,

I was'nt sure what the convertor would do with the 'Extra' information being put through.
Do you have any thoughts on releasing your software for your PC convertor on a cd so that other people can try it out. I use a pc daily, but have never used Linux, so having a handy ready to go (well almost) system on disk would be great.
All the Best,
Alan.
Old 26th May 2006, 1:57 pm   #4
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Alan,
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassoonBloke
I was'nt sure what the convertor would do with the 'Extra' information being put through.
The short answer is "nothing"...

If the DVD player's set up for a "letterbox" picture on a 4:3 625-line set, that's what you get after it's passed through the converter.

Likewise, if you tell the DVD player it's connected to a widescreen set (so you'd see a correct picture on a 16:9 set but a horizontally squashed picture on a 4:3 set) you'd get a horizontally squashed picture on the 405-line set.

Quote:
Do you have any thoughts on releasing your software for your PC convertor on a cd so that other people can try it out. I use a pc daily, but have never used Linux, so having a handy ready to go (well almost) system on disk would be great.
Drifting a tad OT for this thread; but yes, that is part of the Grand Plan; but putting together a bootable "Live CD" Linux distro is non-trivial. But, fairly soon I'll have full instructions on the website for installing KnoppMyth then modifying it for 405-line; it's not that difficult.

Dragging things back on topic again; the various bits of PC software for playing recordings/DVD/etc have a variety of options for zooming/resizing pictures in various ways. Some who saw the demo at the NVCF may remember me zooming the hard disk recordings of Doctor Who (widescreen from digital terrestrial) to 4:3 as letterboxed widescreen on a 9" set just doesn't work too well

Regards, Kat
Old 27th May 2006, 12:55 pm   #5
tubesrule
Hexode

Alan,
For the Aurora converters, there are two possibilities. The low cost converter does not do any aspect ratio correction or cropping. The multi-standard unit has a Zoom function which will crop the center 4:3 section out of a 16:9 source. Since so much material today, both broadcast and DVD, is in letterbox format, this allows you to fill the screen on these early, small screen sets.

Take care,
Darryl
Old 17th Jul 2006, 10:01 am   #6
Focus Diode
Octode

I find on the Dinosaur converter this displays images exactly the same as displayed on a 625-line set but in 405-line B&W of course.

On the cheap Freeview boxes sold by Asda one can, at a touch of a button, adjust the size of the image on a Widescreen transmission allowing for 16:3 (true full widescreen), false widescreen (ie:identical to terrestial transmissions with a gap at the top and bottom) and expanded which fills the entire screen.

A VCR, DVD Recorder or 625-405 standards converter records/displays what's seen via the Freeview Box.

The Freeview box can be adjusted to give w/s which will be displayed as a squashed horizontally image on a conventional set, but full widescreen on a w/s set. Better shut up before I go off topic!

Anyway the main advantage to me personally is I find "Fake widescreen" as txd on terrestial TV unacceptable when converted to 405-lines. At least one can expand the image on a Freeview box to fill the entire screen.

Brian R
Closed Thread