UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2019, 8:21 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default "Services textbook of Radio".

Picked this up in a local charity-shop for 50p. Part of a series, first published 1955, mine is a second edition which dates from 1963. It's the kind of book I like - it deals with the technicalities but isn't afraid to use calculus or trigonometry in the explanations!

It looks to me as if it was an attempt to recreate the 1930s "Admiralty Handbook of Wireless Telegraphy" which seems better knowm (you see loads of copies of them at radio rallies).

There's mention of transistors... and how they have gain-problems at HF, suggesting that current types are "limited to working up to around 20Mc/s".

Apparently there are other volumes in the series:

Vol.1 - Electrical Fundamentals.
Vol 2 - Telecommunications Techniques (to be published)
Vol 3 - Electronics (this is the one I have)
Vol 4 - Circuitry (to be published)
Vol 5 - Transmission and Propagation.
Vol 6 - Wireless Communication (to be published)
Vol 7 - Radiolocation Techniques.

I wonder if the "to be published" ones ever made it to press?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	book.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	183111  
Old 14th May 2019, 9:08 pm   #2
Andrewausfa
Octode

Default Re: "Services textbook of Radio".

Back in 2015 I bought the books and posed the same question as yours

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=117294

Andrew
Old 15th May 2019, 11:23 am   #3
Station X

A search on abebooks suggests that these volumes were never published.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/S...adio&kn=&isbn=

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 15th May 2019, 11:49 am   #4
Nanozeugma
Heptode

Oxfam are currently offering Volume 5 for £16.99 plus £3.95 delivery (!)
I have Volume 3 acquired from Sharston Books near Wythenshawe (Manchester.)

Last edited by Nanozeugma; 15th May 2019 at 11:55 am.
Old 15th May 2019, 4:04 pm   #5
DonaldStott
Octode

Amazon UK appear to have Volume 7 "Radiolocation techniques"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Radiolocati.../dp/B0000CKVEK

Only 1 copy - snap it up now!
Old 15th May 2019, 7:20 pm   #6
pmmunro
Octode

I found Volume 1 at a Stationery Office (HMSO) bookshop in the late 1960s and found it an excellent textbook suited to my way of understanding, so I bought Volumes 3, 5 and 7 for completeness. The staff of Wireless World are acknowledged as co-editors.

I asked about volumes 2 and 4 on a few ocassions and was told they hadn't been published. I think it was suggested that the subject matter had moved on at a pace which overtook the original intended content. Volume 1 also serves for a companion to the series "The Services Textbook of Electrical Engineering".

I managed to find Volumes 2, 3 and 4 of the Electrical Enginnering series, second hand, a couple of years ago and the attachments are scans of the title pages to prove their existance.

I note that Volume 2 was published by Longmans Green and Co. in conjunction with HMSO. The preface states "This book forms one volume of a series on Electrical Engineering intended for use in Universities, Technical Colleges and other Institutions by students who have reached the level of the Ordinary National certificate and are preparing for the examinations of the Higher National Certificate or diploma in electrical engineering the B. Sc (Eng.), the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the City and Guilds of London Institute. This book is also published in conjunction with Her Majesty's Stationery Office, for use in the Services to provide a foundation for the higher study of equipment".

Volume 3 was also published in 1956 as proved by the REME Reserve Orderly Room stamp on the title page. Perhaps it deserves a more orderly room than the one where it is now.

Volume 4 was published in 1971 and the first chapter is not one I would have expected to find in a book on electrical power; "The Eye and Vision" but seems quite informative despite that.

I always thought that Volume 1 was a better textbook than those recommended by many college courses but perhaps the "Services" part of the title was the reason it wasn't better appreciated.

PMM
Attached Files
File Type: pdf STR2.pdf (400.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: pdf STR3.pdf (562.1 KB, 80 views)
File Type: pdf STR4.pdf (258.0 KB, 69 views)
Old 18th May 2019, 1:32 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Thanks for the comments and observations: I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for any of the other volumes - I have a network of 'special agents' in the local charity-shops who set-aside for me any electronics/radio technical books that come in - I think they recognise that there's essentially zero demand for these kinds of books amongst the general public but they'll keep them for me in the hope I'll offer them a few groats.

I can understand how, from the mid-1950s onwards, it must have been really hard for prospective authors of such books to keep them up-to-date and relevant!
Old 1st Jun 2019, 6:28 pm   #8
Chris55000
Nonode

HI!

I've just bought my copy of Volume 3!

I wonder why HMSO got so stuck with Volume 1? They did publish a great deal of electrical and electronic theory in AP3302, which I've managed to acquire Vols. 1, 2 and 3 of, but I was never able to get hold of the Navy's chunk, Vol 4!

I think Parts I & II of Vol 1 of AP3302 are on VMARS but not certain it's all there!

Chris Williams

PS!

Can anyone offer me copies of Conents Lists for the ertwhile not–published Vols 1, 2, 4 & 6?

Last edited by Chris55000; 1st Jun 2019 at 6:58 pm.
Old 1st Jun 2019, 7:47 pm   #9
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

I stand corrected on my previous post – was "Services Text Book of Electrical Engineering", Vol. 1 from 1956, published as a common introductory volume for both the Electrical & Radio branches of the services?

Chris Williams