UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Equipment Transport Requests and Arrangements

Notices

Equipment Transport Requests and Arrangements For discussions about the 'forum courier service' and other arrangements to get sets and parts from one forum member to another. For non-commercial transactions only.

Old 23rd Mar 2019, 1:54 pm   #1
Pamphonica
Octode

Default HRO Coils from Truro towards London, RWB, NVCF

I have been offered a set of HRO coils in two small wooden cases by a BVWS member in Truro. The seller is unfortunately infirm and cannot ship anything.

These coils will go with my restored HRO which often features at local radio club open-days etc. They are not very heavy or bulky, luckily.

Would any kind soul on this fourum be prepared to transport them part of the way Eastwards towards London?

Options are:
  1. (Unlikely) Truro to Virginia Water (GU25)
  2. Truro to Torquay (where a kind friend can sort out shipping or bring them up to me at some point)
  3. Truro to Bristol (for another kind friend to take them onwards to me)
  4. Truro to NVCF at Warwick (12th May)
  5. Truro to Royal Wootton Bassett (7th July)
  6. Truro to somewhere up to say 50 miles West of London so I can pick them up.
Any help at all would be most appreciated.

many thanks

Jeremy
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 11:10 pm   #2
Uncle Bulgaria
Pentode

Default Re: HRO Coils from Truro towards London, RWB, NVCF

I'm very near Truro. I have an engagement in London in May so will be heading that way (Herne Hill).

I may, depending on work and friends' engagements, be going there earlier, or to Lewes.

This would be train or bus. I could possibly take the car, but going to London it's really not worth it! So a meeting with a red carnation/copy of a certain paper at a station would be in order.

Are they hand-portage train items? I am not a radio buff so can't picture this arcane item!

If any of this is handy, I'm amenable to helping out.
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2019, 12:23 am   #3
Pamphonica
Octode

I think that it would be rather much to ask you to carry these items by train or bus. There are 10 coil packs and two small wooden boxes. Each coil pack is about 10x4x2”. So realistically they would not be easy to hand carry. But thanks very much for offering.
https://www.cryptomuseum.com/df/hro/index.htm if you want to see the coil packs.

If anyone travelling by car could help please drop me a line.

-Jeremy
Old 24th Mar 2019, 2:43 am   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Pentode

So 10x4x10" for the coils plus two boxes? Have you an estimate of the weight? I think that's quite feasible. It's only the loading - the rest is taken care of by a bit of (careful) humping at the bus/train station.

I've been known to carry numerous wicker baskets of pottery back by train from the middle east in the last few years, along with rucksacks of the same, so I don't think volume would be the issue. More the logistics of arranging pickup and collection!
Uncle Bulgaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2019, 9:13 pm   #5
Pamphonica
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post
So 10x4x10" for the coils plus two boxes? Have you an estimate of the weight? I think that's quite feasible. It's only the loading - the rest is taken care of by a bit of (careful) humping at the bus/train station.

I will PM you so we can work out whether this is in fact feasible. And to correct a few numbers. Your generosity is amazing!
Many thanks
- Jeremy
Old 25th Mar 2019, 2:59 pm   #6
Pamphonica
Octode

For now this request is satisfied due to an incredibly generous offer by Uncle Bulgaria. We are sorting out details via PM/email.
Please leave the thread open for now. I will request closure when the arrangement is complete.
Many thanks all,
-Jeremy
Old 30th Mar 2019, 6:42 pm   #7
mole42uk
Octode

If that doesn’t work, my colleague’s father lives in Truro and comes to Bristol often, where I live only 10 minutes from Chris who brings stuff over to you…

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Mar 2019, 7:24 pm   #8
Pamphonica
Octode

Thanks Richard. That's a very kind back-up offer.

At present the colis have been collected, and they should be coming up to London in the next month or so.

Many thanks
Jeremy