UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Repair and Restoration Services Wanted

Notices

Repair and Restoration Services Wanted If you need someone to repair or restore equipment for you please post your request here.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2014, 9:25 pm   #1
carnivalpete
Tetrode

Default Restorers for Eddystone Radios

I am a newbie on here, but have been an Eddystone fan for over 20yrs. I have just acquired my second Eddystone 888A. Always a risk as the condition is never obvious until it is fired up for the first time. This one works but is evidently in need of restoration. Unfortunately, whilst I am a (retired) qualified electrical engineer I am not a qualified radio engineer and I would like to find someone within sensible driving distance of Pembrokeshire who would be prepared to take on the restoration work.
Indeed, if no-one has raised this issue before, it might be useful to set up a site register of those interested in helping out in this way. Best wishes, Pete.
Old 20th Dec 2014, 12:32 am   #2
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: Restorers for Eddystone Radios

Hello and welcome!

You haven't found the "Repair and restoration services offered" section, then? Click on the "UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum" part of the long string near the top of this page and you'll get a page showing all of the sections. Your early posts will seem slow because they're moderated for a while, and the modern technology bit won't be accessible until you have 10 posts under your belt.

I've had an EA12 for about 20 years

David
Old 21st Dec 2014, 12:19 pm   #3
carnivalpete
Tetrode

My 888A needs general overhaul. It works but I assume it needs at least replacement resistors and capacitors. There is some end float on main tuning knob. Inside front glass and dial needs cleaning. Rather quiet on several bands except a lively 40m but this may turn out to be an aerial issue. I have half wave dipoles for 40m and 20m with coax downlead and an ATU into the 888A. Is there anyone I can deliver to interested in helping with restoration?

Cheers, Pete.
Old 6th Sep 2015, 6:45 pm   #4
carnivalpete
Tetrode

Just in case some folk like to hear the end of a story as well as the beginning, sad news I'm afraid. Probably due to it's (known) poor and fairly lengthy storage conditions, the generally lack lustre performance of this 888A suddenly took a serious turn for the worse when the second IF failed. Impossible to replace so I have a 1960 888A for spares and repairs. I will continue to search for 888A number three and hold the wreckage for now just in case it becomes useful. pete
Closed Thread