UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Equipment Transport Requests and Arrangements

Notices

Equipment Transport Requests and Arrangements For discussions about the 'forum courier service' and other arrangements to get sets and parts from one forum member to another. For non-commercial transactions only.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2015, 10:56 pm   #1
Andrew B
Hexode

Default Anaheim California USA. to Bradford UK.

Hi there.

I have managed to trace a set of ferrite cores for a radio I'm fixing. The company will send me some samples (5 X 4mm ferrite cores) but they insist on using TNT signed for post to the UK, cost.....nearly $200 US.

I have a paypal account if someone in the US is willing to forward them to me using cheaper USPS.

Below is a copy of the mail Micrometals/Lodestone sent me.

Good morning Andrew,
Unfortunately, we cannot ship samples internationally via USPS. However, one option we usually recommend to our customers is to schedule a shipment with TNT; we can provide you with the weight and dimensions of the package. Once the shipment is scheduled on your end, TNT will call us to confirm and to set a pick up day/time. You'll pay TNT directly for the shipment.
Let me know if this is a good option for you.
Best Regards

Last edited by AC/HL; 31st Dec 2015 at 12:25 am. Reason: Personal information removed
Old 30th Nov 2015, 11:17 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: Anahelm CA to Bradford UK.

Anaheim California?

Home of Micrometals inc?

Some of their cores are available over here but under a different name.

David
Old 30th Nov 2015, 11:33 pm   #3
Andrew B
Hexode

Hi David.

I have searched high and low in the UK and come up with ZILCH. Could you please point me in the right direction?

Andrew
Old 1st Dec 2015, 1:13 am   #4
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

A component distributor on Otsego Street, Hollywood called Bill Amidon started selling toroids to the American QRP (low power) amateur radio community. He used his own part number scheme very closely following original manufacturer's numbers. He didn't make parts, but sourced dust-iron toroids from Micrometals in Anaheim California, and ferrite toroids from the Fair-Rite corporation of Wallkill New Jersey.

In the amateur radio world they are referred to as Amidon toroids and almost no-one knows the real makers.

Additionally there are multinational general distributors of magnetic cores. Try Dexter Magnetics.

Some time ago I designed a dual-directional power meter for the G-QRP club and as a joke I chose a type of core made by Salford Electrical Instruments (a GEC subsidiary) in Heywood, lancs, under a mile from George Dobbs' vicarage

What cores do you need?

David
Old 1st Dec 2015, 10:59 am   #5
DAC10 Collector
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Additionally there are multinational general distributors of magnetic cores.
Another potential UK supplier that may be able to help:

http://powermagnetics.co.uk/pace-com.../ferrite-cores

Mike
Old 1st Dec 2015, 1:53 pm   #6
Andrew B
Hexode

Default Re: Anaheim California USA. to Bradford UK.

Hi all, thanks for replying.

The cores that I need are threaded M4 and 10mm long. The material should be suitable for use between 10MHz and 30MHz.

I studied their technical data and selected the cores most suitable, gave them the part numbers from their catalog.. TH26-1306 or TH26-0106 from Micrometals.

As a Mr Clarkson once said "How hard can it be"? I offered to send them $10 in CASH through the post to use USPS.

Andrew
Old 1st Dec 2015, 3:09 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Unhelpful...

Try having a word with Amidon. They're distributors, handle smaller quantities and deal with actual people.

http://www.amidoncorp.com/

David
Old 1st Dec 2015, 4:01 pm   #8
Andrew B
Hexode

Thanks for that David, I have fired them a mail off, let's see how "small" customer orientated they are, here's hoping.

Andrew
Old 10th Dec 2015, 12:10 am   #9
Andrew B
Hexode

Dear all.
Well a happy end to the saga, after chasing around the world for these cores and pestering no end of companies, I just got this.

Andrew,
I added 5 pieces to your order so if you need more down the line you have back up. I will have the total for you later today.
The shipping costs are minimal so we are going to cover them. They will be mailed tomorrow.
Thank you

Happy days

Andrew now M0IIQ

Last edited by AC/HL; 31st Dec 2015 at 12:47 am. Reason: Personal information removed
Old 10th Dec 2015, 5:41 am   #10
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

That's good to know, and a nice outcome.

Just enjoy your kinks, it's just a phase you're going through. Soon you'll have more grids than you'll know what to do with.

David
Old 11th Dec 2015, 1:43 am   #11
Andrew B
Hexode

I have a perchance to get one more grid (to suppress) my kinks and use it to pinch off my anode.

Seriously, it does pay to persist in >persecuting< companies to provide samples of their products. I belong to a radio control model group (who also persecute for samples).

The corporations such as T.I., Motorola, Toshiba etc. know that without the persistence of the >original amateur< penuriously disadvantaged experimenters in wireless, Hertzian waves, semiconductors and magnetism, that they would never exist today.

Quote:
Andrew,

You’re welcome. The company is really good about helping and if the costs are minimal the cover the shipping.

I’m not sure which charities we assist with since I’m not involved with that part of the business. I know they help our employees with college tuition after they graduate from high school.

Thank you for the offer.

Thank you,
Micrometals
Who to donate to? Help for Heroes or my local Age concern?

Andrew

Andrew now M0IIQ

Last edited by AC/HL; 31st Dec 2015 at 12:51 am. Reason: Personal information removed
Closed Thread