UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Nov 2014, 5:37 pm   #1
M Forster
Diode

Default Looking For PYE Westminster

Hi, I am looking for a PYE Westminster setup, as complete as possible, as part of a 1970 Police car restoration.

Any offers are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 6:02 pm   #2
Freya
Octode

Default Re: Looking For PYE Westminster

Have you seen the one on ebay ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pye-Westmi...item462b596f72

"It`s only an old telly"
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 6:21 pm   #3
Restoration73
Octode

You'll need to be more specific. Many of the services used a boot mount radio with a long
lead to a dash mounted control box. Often a telephone handset was used in place of
the standard fist microphone.
Examples here
http://www.pyetelecomhistory.org/pro...s/mobiles.html
Old 3rd Nov 2014, 6:36 pm   #4
Biggles
Nonode

Probably an AM low band version too if you want to be totally accurate. The radio aerial will have to be about a metre long also for added authenticity, and an external "Pye" speaker will be required to complete the installation.
Alan.
Old 5th Nov 2014, 1:24 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

In a 1970 police car it's more likely to have been a "P-band" version: Tx on 138 - 141MHz, Rx on 105 - 108 MHz.

As noted there are loads of variants of the "Wessie": the dash-mount version was actually the least common fitment in cars because it's quite bulky. The boot-mount versions come with at least three different styles of control-boxes: one is a slightly-oval-rectangular unit - diecast frontplate with dark blue inlay carrying on/off/vol, squelch and rotary channel-change and mic socket, lighter blue plastic outer case.

http://www.qsl.net/gm8aob/images/PYE...6319_small.jpg

The next version is a smaller, squarer plastic moulded unit with edgewise thumbwheel channel-change switch and slider volume control. Squelch is usually a preset pot hidden under a rubber bung or another edgewise 'thumbwheel'.

http://www.qsl.net/gm8aob/pages_2/MC1.htm

Third type [I've seen very few of these] looks rather more like a conventional car-radio with push-buttons along the top, rotary channel-change, rotary squelch/volume controls and often a couple of extra illuminating buttons (red, green, yellow) with musical notes printed on them - these were used with selective calling for various functions.

Microphones - the standard one was a grey-green "fag-packet" on a curly cord, with press-to-talk switch. A teephone-handset was the other usual option: I never came across a pye "Shaver"-style mic being issued with a Wessie - those came with the later Europa and Olympic range.

Last edited by G6Tanuki; 5th Nov 2014 at 1:39 pm.
Old 5th Nov 2014, 1:55 pm   #6
Denis G4DWC
Pentode

I worked for the HO, Dtels in the late sixties. At that time and into the early seventies many cars and vans were still fitted with PYE Vanguards and Cossor 144s in the region in which I worked. These were gradually being changed over to STC681s, GEC650s and of course the Pye Whitehall. Some regions may well have used the Dymar Lynx which were common in Fire Service duty. I'm sure there are other Ex Dtels people on here that will know about the radios that were used in other regions.

I personally never came across Westminsters in Cars although they may well have been used in other regions.

Of course there were the Motorcycle variants of the Westminster in common use that took over from Cossor 108s and 301s.

Frequency wise at that time I think all Police Forces, without exception, used around 82 MHz AM for Mobile Transmit and around 100MHz AM for Mobile Receive and is why people could listen in on their domestic VHF radios. The Frequencies changed of course after WARC 79 primarily as the Broadcasters wanted the spectrum, from around 98-108MHz, back that the HO were only keeping warm for them.

You may find some info and PICs at www.dtels.org.

Denis
Old 5th Nov 2014, 4:00 pm   #7
AC/HL

Are there any frequencies licensable by the general public that any version of Westminster can legally use? I suspect not. There used to be demonstration channels, but I think they were for commercial users only.
The external visual appearance is probably the only practical consideration here.
Old 5th Nov 2014, 4:15 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

No, the nearest would be the "UK Simple Business Radio" licence:

http://ofcom.org.uk/static/businessr...ioSimpleUK.pdf

but it costs 75 to get (lasts for 3 years) and mandates the use of 'type approved' radios [which Westminsters aren't].

You're allowed up to 5 watts, handheld or mobile. No repeaters split-frequency working or base-stations.
Old 5th Nov 2014, 4:42 pm   #9
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Quote:
Are there any frequencies licensable by the general public that any version of Westminster can legally use?
They where used a lot for amateur radio, Pye used to sell off ex (rental?) stuff cheaply to those who worked there. Probably the only cheap way to get one useable.