UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2019, 3:35 pm   #21
trh01uk
Octode

Default Re: DDRC car boot

"We did feel there may have been less buyers this year"

Funny that. I was at Chas Miller's Radiophile auction, and there weren't many buyers there either. We were blaming the DDRC car boot for that......

Richard
Old 20th May 2019, 3:54 pm   #22
MrBungle
Dekatron

The stuff I've shifted on ebay recently has taken several times longer than it usually does to sell as well.

I think this is just down to financial pressure for everyone at the moment.
Old 20th May 2019, 7:24 pm   #23
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Footfall was certainly down this year, number of sellers seems much the same to me, hasn't dropped off in the 20 years I have been going.

Quality of junk seems to get lower each year though .

But, it really is the only decent open air boot sale left going these days
Old 20th May 2019, 7:36 pm   #24
MrBungle
Dekatron

Is Newbury any good? That's the next one on my calendar.
Old 20th May 2019, 8:07 pm   #25
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: DDRC car boot

I noticed it was quieter than the past couple of times and a few less stalls. The quality of the items were lower than of previous times and less boxes of vintage things to rummage through. Quite a few of the domestic radios were in particularly rough condition and didn't sell even for spares donating sets. They hadn't cut the grass in the car park again making my feet wet!!

I found a model 8 AVO in working condition for £2 and bought a load of second hand EF80's and EF91's off a stall. I found a small colour CRT television for £3 which looks rather interesting as it is so small.

I didn't get too much as I have nearly reached saturation point here at home and had bought quite a few things last week at the NVCF.

There was a nice chap selling early germanium transistors all NOS and tested for £1 each which I thought was a bargain and bought several for a Tefifon "Holiday deluxe" radio/Tefi player which looks as if someone has reverse biased and destroyed all of the transistors.

I also came away with a load of Mullard/Philips technical literature and catalogues which were almost given away at the end and will give plenty of reading.

Christopher Capener
Old 20th May 2019, 10:08 pm   #26
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Is Newbury any good? That's the next one on my calendar.
Yes, Newbury is very similar, not quite as big. Note that there are road diversions this year due to works at the motorway junction.

Details:
http://www.nadars.org.uk/

Weather forecast:
https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/forecast/gcph3vm8s
Old 20th May 2019, 10:51 pm   #27
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Re: DDRC car boot

Good evening,
I have been to Newbury a few times and it is similar format to Luton. It’s a bit smaller though there is plenty of vintage and modern components amateur and vintage radios and old test gear. The weather can be rather hot there in previous years and the field is quite exposed. The car park is right next to the stalls if you go and buy a boatanchor or 2!!

Christopher Capener
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:50 am   #28
MrBungle
Dekatron

Thanks for the comments on Newbury. I think I’ll take a wander down there as it’s on my side of London and I’ve got nothing else coming up.
Closed Thread